Too Much Dust

Mr. Redwood

I have started a topic once, and in that time I have got some great feedback. Whenever I look online about mitersaw dust collection systems all I see is dust hoods. I don't I don't really want a dust hood, so is there a way for better dust collection? I have heard that if you lose your miter saw bag you can use a sock, it that true? All I have to use for this system is a shop vac will that be a problem?

Thank You and Happy Wood Working

Honestly no.  for  dust collection on mitre cuts, I think the mft is about as good as you get. 

Collecting dust from a chop saw or mitre saw effectively is one of the things I don't think woodworking companies have figured out yet. Mike@estesbubba made a video a few weeks back with good results of collection but he is running dust collection pipe right up to a contained area behind the saw.  

Only having a shop vac will limit your effectiveness and I think it best to adjust your expectations.  

I use a ridgid shop vac and added a sort of extension around the boot on the saw that funnels in the dust. All it is is a duct tape flap that lengthens and widens that boot. Id say it grabs about 75% of the dust, as opposed to like 30% without that simple add-on. I think 100% is impossible with most saws.

The trick is to start with the saw forward and push through the cut, instead of chopping down. While pushing like that, the dust sprays right into the boot.

Of course this only works on saws where the boot moves with the sliding head, some dewalt and other saws have a fixed dust boot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

In addition to using the shop vac connected to the port, you can put a box fan with a very fine furnace filter (and, optionally, a coarser fiberglass filter on top of that) on the ceiling above the saw and it will help draw away the fine dust that otherwise is missed by the vacuum and gravity.