Entry level jointer

Isaac

Looking at a few options for a possible jointer purchase. Mike and Eric will be amused/proud.

Rikon has a 6" bench top jointer with helical cutters (is that the same as spiral cutters?)

http://www.rikontools.com/productpage_20-600H.html

While Grizzly has several cabinet options, such as this one.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-Jointer-with-Cabinet-Stand/G0814?utm_campaign=zPage&utm_source=grizzly.com

Wondering, what is the issue with the benchtop options? This Rikon looks to be the best of them.

Any other options I should be looking at in this general price range.

Also how beneficial is the spiral cutting vs regular blades for reletivelly low volume work? Any difference in snipe or tearout? Is one better for certain wood types than the other? 

General thoughts/advice would be appreciated.

thanks!

Hi Isaac - 

My first question is usually about your budget.  But looks like you've set the 400-600 range.  Next question is - what do you use it for?  If you're just jointing short pieces, the benchtop one might suit you just fine.  But in general, their beds are fairly short - making it harder to joint longer pieces.  Not that it cannot be done - many people use them with success.  Just be wary.

Have you looked at craiglist?  There are some other options...

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/tls/5908502747.html

that's one that pops up from a quick search. I would see that in 'roughly' the same class as the other two - longer than the rikon, and maybe a tad below the Grizz but not by much.  Buying used, you'd want to bring a straightedge to check the beds for coplaner and check tghe knives to see if they're usable or need to be replaced immediately.

• Like 1

I just recently bought the Griz 814, I hooked mine to 220v and there were only two complaints... #1  It's a knuckle buster in set up, but not a major problem...   And #2... It's a tad loud.  Other than that. It works the way it's supposed to, and it fits the space I had designated for it.  I can't speak to the helical cutters, but everything I've heard and read say's they are the better cutters....  but you give up table length for a better cutter that you admit you'll use from time to time.   Got a coin?  Flip it!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, C Shaffer said:

It's shorter in length than my wooden hand plane jointer...  When taking the wood to the tool, length of table is an issue. 

Yeah that is the biggest difference i see, a 30" bed vs. a 48" one. In terms of comparing to a hand planes, do I compare the 30" directly, or should I really divide than number in half to better understand the behavior? I've been going Pondering that..

Unless you're building boxes and small picture frames, a bench top jointer is a waste of money, and you're going to outgrow it fast. Bench top jointers are also exceptionally loud.... Like holy &*$% there's a plane taking off in his shop.

The rigid isn't a bad jointer, though the Grizz might be a better option. with more available options, given the similarities in price.

You could save even more and get the Grizz 813 instead of the 814. The only difference is  the 813 requires you put the base together much like a bandsaw. 

http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-Jointer-with-Knock-Down-Stand/G0813

• Like 1

I like my Shop Fox, but I seldom need to joint anything very long at all.  I figure that it is great if you seldom need to joint anything more than 5' or so long.  I often buy longer stock, but always break it down to shorter lengths before jointing.  If that is the case for you too I'd say that a bench top model is a good choice.

I expected to find the short bed limiting, but in practice I have never wished for a longer one.  I am a luthier though so I never need to work with very long pieces.  For the rare case where I would need to, I would just have my lumber supplier joint it for me at the time of purchase.

I was a little surprised by Tom's comment about bench top jointers being loud.  I don't find mine to be very loud and was actually a bit surprised how quiet it is.  Maybe because I tend to take lighter but more numerous passes?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tom Cancelleri said:

Unless you're building boxes and small picture frames, a bench top jointer is a waste of money, and you're going to outgrow it fast. Bench top jointers are also exceptionally loud.... Like holy &*$% there's a plane taking off in his shop.

The rigid isn't a bad jointer, though the Grizz might be a better option. with more available options, given the similarities in price.

You could save even more and get the Grizz 813 instead of the 814. The only difference is  the 813 requires you put the base together much like a bandsaw. 

http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-Jointer-with-Knock-Down-Stand/G0813

Good point about the base. In either case, the majority of the weight is in the top section (cutter and beds) right? Are these things easily moveable by two guys? I've used a jointer, but never seen one broken down or installed.

I moved my Ridgid from my garage to my walkout basement myself.  It's only slightly lighter than those Grizzlys, the Ridgid says on the specs it's 208 lbs.  It was used and assembled when I got it, I tilted the bed up onto a hand truck/dolly and rolled it through my yard.

I wouldn't be at all interested in a bench top, and I wouldn't go any lesser quality or smaller than the Ridgid...

• Like 2

Against all advice about bench top jointers, I've been looking at this  

http://www.cutechtool.com/category-s/107.htm

Its not a true helical head but it supposed to be quieter than others. It seems good to me, and I'm not sure if need to be able to joint anything longer on a regular basis. The only exception would be parts for a bed I want to make. Mainly it's the 6" width that's holding me back. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ottacat said:

I personally see no need for a helical head on jointer for hobby use. I've had my straight knife jointer for nearly 4 years now and it's still a long way from needing sharpening. 

Thanks, that was going to be my next question. So it looks like I'm leaning towards a 6" grizzly or similar brand.

Isaac, I've only had one jointer and it is a Grizz, 6", similiar to the one you posted and have had great results with it. I don't understand a bench model, unless it's due to cost, then I do. Foot print is the same, and lifting, moving and storing has got to be a pain?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Isaac, I've only had one jointer and it is a Grizz, 6", similiar to the one you posted and have had great results with it. I don't understand a bench model, unless it's due to cost, then I do. Foot print is the same, and lifting, moving and storing has got to be a pain?

That bench top was only listed at like 35 pounds.  Not a big feat to lift, but not much mass there for stability.

The only big benefit to helical cutters on s jointer I can think of is the setup.  I've been avoiding replacing my knives because setting them is daunting.  

5 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Cost isn't the biggest factor here, With a bench model it has a shorter table and I'm imagining building a dedicated stand for it under which I could store a different tool, such as a bench top planer or drum sander. That being said, if the performance isn't there, it is a no go.

Anyone tried one of these combo units? The reviews on that link aren't good, but it is a very small sample size.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/828552/Planer-Jointer.aspx?gclid=CKnu9buQ69ACFZGJaQod_P8EDw#REVIEWS

The knives in my Grizz require no adjustment, thank goodness or I'd be screwed! Similiar to my 735 planer, they just bottom out (probably a better word for it?) i use my jointer to make it get ready for the planer for the face and edge ready for the ts.

• Like 1

I have a 6" Delta benchtop, clone of the one@kon_jelly mentioned. If I had the space, I'd upgrade to a floor model in a heartbeat. While the benchtop will make edges straight and faces flat, it is a royal pain to use. Boards longer than 48" are extremely difficult to handle on the short bed, it has no mass to dampen vibration and provide stability, and makes more noise than my DW735, if that is even possible.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bleedinblue said:

The only big benefit to helical cutters on s jointer I can think of is the setup.  I've been avoiding replacing my knives because setting them is daunting.

Tear out on figured woods is what drove me to an insert head. The lower cost of operation turned out to be an unforeseen benefit. 

When I ran a knived machine I used glass and magnets to setup the kvives in a snap.

jointer-glass-magnet.JPG

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, gee-dub said:

Tear out on figured woods is what drove me to an insert head. The lower cost of operation turned out to be an unforeseen benefit. 

When I ran a knived machine I used glass and magnets to setup the kvives in a snap.

jointer-glass-magnet.JPG

I've seen that method and that's what I'll do when it's time.  I'm sure I'll still screw it up though!