Making fake drawers?

JFlamme

For a project I'm working on I'm making a wall mount jewelry armoire, and for the door I'd like to make the door actually have a row of fake drawers. Is it acceptable to just trim drawers on the front of a panel? Or will the wood movement mess with miter joints on the surface? I know you would never frame around a panel door, so I'm not sure if this would be okay or not. The door would be about 12" x 16".

I made some false drawers for the top of a bathroom cabinet (a real drawer would hit the sinks), and what I did was cut a small rabbit (about 1/16") around the front edge so that it looks like it has the spacing around it like a real drawer would have for spacing ...

It makes the false drawer look like it could open.

• Like 1

Ahhhh I was wondering if it was too small to matter, but I wasn't sure, Alright I'll go ahead with it then. 

8 hours ago, RJH30518 said:

I made some false drawers for the top of a bathroom cabinet (a real drawer would hit the sinks), and what I did was cut a small rabbit (about 1/16") around the front edge so that it looks like it has the spacing around it like a real drawer would have for spacing ...

It makes the false drawer look like it could open.

You're talking right around the edge of the panel, am I understanding that correctly? That occurred to me to do, but I wasn't sure if it'd turn out well enough to make it worth doing. Having done it you would say it's worth though?

For the top door I was thinking of taking 1" x 3/4" wood, and cutting details with my router, mitering the ends and gluing the whole thing up. With a Rabbet around the inside corner I should be able to set plywood with a mirror glued to it inside and then hold it with mirror clips?

Does that sound reasonable? Framing the plywood sorta tight should be fine cause the plywood won't move like the hardwood, (I'm using black walnut by the way, should've said before) and it won't be glued anyway. My only concern is the strength of the miters, should I use a spline there? or should I just nail it? Sorry to hit you guys up again in the same topic, but I haven't been able to get a clear answer to my first question till now. You guys were super helpful.