Kerf maker

Rex Edgar

I was surfing the other day and ran into Bridge City Tools and their web page. The 'Kerfmaker' caught my eye and I did some further investigating, to find that there are many shop made alternatives.  I settled on a design by "JAY'S Creation" . His was very basic, I added a few upgrades and it does work well. My question to those who have and use this jig is, what is themost use you get from this guy. I have found that it is very accurate, but if it is used with a long piece, you run out of sled or table area to clamp the jig and line up the work. Here are a few photos of what I came up with. Oh, the place mat reminds me "Merry Christmas" to all!

IMG_0200.JPG

IMG_0201.JPG

IMG_0202.JPG

IMG_0203.JPG

• Like 1

On 12/14/2016 at 11:59 AM, xxdabroxx said:

NP.  They got me with the super cheap cost to get on the wait list, talked to a rep late last month and they hope to ship them this month.  I'd almost prefer they waited until next month though.  Or at least until after next payday, haha.

They discounted them? How much were they going for?

No discount, but the pre-order price was something like $7, you have to pay the rest when they ship. 

31 minutes ago, ben_r_ said:

They discounted them? How much were they going for?

I figured it was a good way to get one of their tools in my hands to see if the quality is worth it to pick up any of their bigger tools.  I know what it is like to use Snap-On over craftsman so I'm curious to see if BCT is like that.

On 12/14/2016 at 6:51 AM, Rex Edgar said:

I was surfing the other day and ran into Bridge City Tools and their web page. The 'Kerfmaker' caught my eye and I did some further investigating, to find that there are many shop made alternatives.  I settled on a design by "JAY'S Creation" . His was very basic, I added a few upgrades and it does work well. My question to those who have and use this jig is, what is themost use you get from this guy. I have found that it is very accurate, but if it is used with a long piece, you run out of sled or table area to clamp the jig and line up the work. Here are a few photos of what I came up with. Oh, the place mat reminds me "Merry Christmas" to all!

I made and use something similar to that.  It works great and took about as long to make as I would have spent buying one.  Maybe I am too much of a cheapskate, but I don't see spending $$$ on the BCTW one.  Mine isn't adjustable for different blade widths, but I decided that, to me at least, it made sense to just make more than one if I want them for different blades.

I also made a thickness gauge to use with it to get the depth right with less fuss.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, drzaius said:

That might be my gateway tool to the harder BCTW stuff. I watched a couple of videos of shop made versions, & really, my labor is worth a lot more than the cost of buying it. And it's beautiful to look at.

Thats about where I fell on this one.  It wasn't so expensive as to be cost prohibitive and I figured the metal would hold better and probably be less frustrating in the long run to a shop built version.  Although, a shop built version would be pretty easy to build I would think.  I just have more confidence in tapping a fence into a metal tool and having it not move over a wooden one that I built. 

That and I wanted to get a taste for their quality without dropping a few hundo on a plane.

On 12/14/2016 at 0:15 PM, Chet K said:

Okay,  I give up, how do these things work/what are they for?  I may need one and don't even know it.

I have never heard of that before but, now that I have seen it, I know that I can't live another minute without one.  Time to DIY.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, drzaius said:

That might be my gateway tool to the harder BCTW stuff. I watched a couple of videos of shop made versions, & really, my labor is worth a lot more than the cost of buying it. And it's beautiful to look at.

I looked at the Kerfmaker and really wanted one.  I also watched some videos on how to make one.  

Well, it did not take me long to go back and order the Kerfmaker by BCTW.  Can't wait to get my new toy.

Back to the drawing board, as I said earlier, I replaced the knob with a smaller one so that there is no interference when laying on it's side. I also added a channel for the slider to ride on. I also liked the look of the BC version and ordered one. The seem to have attended the same business school as the folks known for the Red tools. Take orders, then produce. I answered my own questions by watching the BC video. Clever using the rip fence scale to make the longer dados.

IMG_0208.JPG

IMG_0209.JPG

IMG_0210.JPG

So are the shop made versions just not as accurate as BC's?  I just watched Jay's video...obviously one of his earlier works...but the jig looks painfully easy to build.  It's hard to imagine paying for one, unless it's an accuracy thing.

I'm not sure I would even use the thing, but I'll certainly build one to see.  If I do find it useful, perhaps I'll get in on a BC order later.

I have the BCTW version, and it is great. I also bought a 3D printed version to see how they compared, but received an incomplete version and haven't taken the time to get the other wheel printed. As you can see, the 3D printed one is huge... It ended up costing around $35 with shipping.

The real one isn't that expensive... There is a lot of messing around to make one, and it won't be as accurate as the one you can buy. Maybe it's just me... But if I'm going to make something it is because I can do it better. Not so I can save a few bucks. Time is money, and the money spent on the genuine article is well worth knowing that you will be able to count on it being accurate for as long as you live. Wood moves, and so will your shop made thing.

15225389_10211560556997703_1419968873_o.jpg

• Like 1