Cherry Wall Cabinet

wnaziri

3 minutes ago, JosephThomas said:

Looks good. Did you do all that work in one day? Nice job.

I wish.  I was in my shop for 4 hours on Saturday where I did most of the work.  I went back Thursday night for two hours to do the rest of the work where I fitted the two shelves and the mortise and tenon for the front frame.  I did a lot of planing with my No. 4 smoother for all the pieces.

As a side note, I recently spent a few weeks improving my workshop.  I improved my dust collection system, installed new fence for the Northfield No. 4.  All the improvements really streamline my workflow.  It has become much easier to resaw lumber, joint the stuff, plane it, and then cut to size in matter of minutes.

• Like 1

Spent a little more time on the project today.  In the interest of finishing the piece by the end of the year, I will not experiment with a glass front.  If I make another one, I plan on using a piece of antique glass.

In the meantime, the flame cherry panel is done, sanded, and dry fitted.  It actually looks reasonable.  There is good contrast in both color and figure between the flame cherry panel and the rift sawn cherry rail & stile.

IMG_3989.jpg

IMG_3990.jpg

Fitting the drawer.  It is a piece of sapele that I had laying around.  Not sure I will go with it.

IMG_3991.jpg

The cherry panel sanded to 320 and a couple coats of shellac.  I think I will use shellac as my finish for this project.

Drawer and back on the agenda for tomorrow.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

• Like 2

Looking good.  That cherry will age beautifully.  Small wall cabinets have to be my favorite relaxing thing to make.  You can still make them involved enough to be interesting but, the scale keeps things moving along.  Lots of therapy, little wait time; I like to do them between large builds to mellow out. ;-)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, micks said:

Very nice, Wade. Have any plans for what will go in it?

Thanks @micks.  We have decided to gift the piece to my sister in law.  She is 5 years post successfully fighting advanced breast cancer.  She is very special to us and I hope I have the piece all finished to present it to her by Xmas.  However, I really lover the piece so I see one just like it in our future as well.  I plan to make another one early next year.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
This project was going to be my last project for 2016.  Well, it took 4 days into 2017 to get it all done.  The final product turned out OK.  I used Brusso hinges.  The pull for the door is my very fist turned project.  I had never made anything with my lathe.  The finish is super-blond shellac, rubbed with wax using 0000 steel wool.  The surface has real nice feel to touch.

IMG_4057.jpg

IMG_4061.jpg

IMG_4059.jpg

IMG_4060.jpg

IMG_4063.jpg

IMG_4064.jpg

IMG_4062.jpg

The back has a French cleat for hanging it.

Now that is all finished, I noticed that the door will swing open slowly.  I need to add a latch most likely.

Happy New Year everyone.

That looks great! Will you do anything to speed the darkening of the cherry, or just let it take its time?

On 1/5/2017 at 11:02 PM, wtnhighlander said:

Will you do anything to speed the darkening of the cherry, or just let it take its time?

I will not be do anything special to speed up the color change of the cherry.  I realize the two variants of cherry will eventually look very similar in color but in the meantime, I like the contrast.

On 1/5/2017 at 11:25 PM, treeslayer said:

looks great Wade, tell me about the joints for the door as i'll be doing one this weekend, the panel floats in a stopped groove i assume or something else? you might consider a rare earth magnet on the bottom of the door to keep it shut.

I used pinned BRIDLE JOINT (mortise and tenon, corrected) for the frame with a floating panel.  The panel sits in a  1/4 groove in the rail and stiles.  I put a drop of glue in the middle of each rail to keep the panel in place and keep it from rattling.  I think the panel has ~3/16" for movement.  The frame is 3/4" and the panel is 1/2".  

Edited by wnaziri
corrected to state Bridle joint
  • Like 1