VOC and Odor dissipation

Isaac

Just kind of checking my assumptions here. Typically I apply finishes as the last thing I do in the shop for an evening and don't return until the following day or later, at which point the finish is dry and any odors from the finishing have dissipated. Once the finish has dried/cured, does that mean the risk of VOCs is basically gone, or are they a risk even after the finish is dry and odors have dissipated? I'm typically using common urethanes and such.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

I'd say once the finish is actually 'cured', then yes. But most folks mistake 'dry to the touch' for 'fully cured'. Not the same thing at all.

For a typical polyurathane in an oil+solvent carrier, I'd say 30 days is a safer bet.

Yup I've had a few times I would get a whiff of Waterlox even after several weeks in the house. My guess is if you can smell it then there are still some VOCs. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mike. said:

I don't know.   I think the VOCs are in the solvent, and the solvents flash off fairly quickly.  After that, you might just be smelling the oils and resins as they cure. 

That is generally what I've come to believe, just been on a safety kick and want to make sure I'm following best practices.

I don't own one, but there are air quality monitor devices you can buy if you're worried.  I just wear a cartridge filter in my respirator when I'm using something more noxious than shellac.  All the sawdust in my ceiling boxfan air filter will act as a bit of a carbon filter, too. 

Any serious spraying gets done in the garage instead of the basement.