Essential clamps

Tony Wilkins

Just got finished reading Jeff Miller's essential clamp kit article in the Dec 2016 FWW.  I definitely need more clamps (knew that before I read the article).  It did raise a few questions in my mind.

do the wooden cam style clamps count as F style clamps?  (I got one to try and I'm not sure if I like them or not)

im not sure what he classified the parallel/bessey revo style clamps as (seems like under f style).  I'd call them bar clamps because that's the way I tend to use the few I have).

if you read the article, what do you think of it?  What's your essential clamp arsenal?  What are your can't live without clamps?

I read the article and agree with the gist of it.  The clamps that do the most for you or that are most important will vary with what you do and how you do it.  The best way to acquire the lengths and types you need once you decide on a brand that you prefer is to buy them as you go.  I kept running out of 24” k-body clamps so I just grabbed a pair whenever I found them on sale until I stopped running out of them ;-)

Following the basic order of the article, I have parallel clamps as my bar clamps and these get the most use of any clamp type I have. 

Cleat Clamp Rack V2 (15).jpgClamps Group A (10).jpg

I have 2 aluminum clamps since I wanted to try them out.  They are great for panel glue-ups but, my parallel clamps will handle this so I have not bought any more aluminum ones.  The aluminum ones are lightweight and this can certainly be an advantage in some situations.

I have a dozen pipe clamps that hang behind a rolling tool box.  They are not used often but, when you want a pipe clamp, you want a pipe clamp.  I added cauls/stands to them to make them a littl more pleasant to work with.

Pipe clamp rack top.jpg

Pipe Clamp Cauls (7).jpg

I have a couple dozen Bessey mighty-minis and these are my second most used clamp.  They do service in holding squaring jigs, parts to sleds, trim to panels and all sorts of small time jobs.  I find this amusing since all of my other f-style clamps see little use.

clamps.JPG

I have a bevy of f-style clamps bought early on before I figured out what I enjoyed doing.  These are my least used clamp.  Their cunning ability to pull things out of alignment and those fussy clutch plates assure these clamps of a restful existence in my shop.  They do come in handy to “fill in” between other clamps to add more pressure points once things are held in position by other clamps.

My Quick Grip clamps are even less often used than my f-style clamps for the same reasons.  They add the ability to loosen over time to their “be sure to use me last” posture in my shop.  Their redeeming value is the rare occurrence when I need to clamp something one-handed.

I have a grip of c-clamps from 1” through about 6” and like pipe clamps, they are great to have around when you need one.

I have a “vine” of handscrews.  This is a length of rope with loops knotted in at some interval along the length.  One handle of the handscrew slips in easily and they just hang there.  I can remove and replace them one-handed and the awkward corener space gets some use. 

G-blade-handscrew-storage.jpg

These are great for odd-angle clamping, holding small parts during milling and acting as a third hand at the bench.  The routinely go on sale stupid-cheap at Rockler which explains my flock; how do you pass up a handscrew for a few bucks?

I have a grip of 2” spring clamps from the BORG where they were a buck apiece when I was gathering.  I have several 4” spring clamps from Harbor Freight that have served me well for near a decade.  IIRC they were under $4 each.

When I want spring clamp like action but, want a little more finesse for small molding or adjustable pressure I use Bessey Vario-Clippex.  These pop up at the BORG for a few bucks apiece or you can pay double at Rockler of Woodcraft.

In addition, I have a variety of special purpose work holding devices; corner clamps, frame clamps, Bessey Klik-Clamps, deep throat f-style monsters and the like.

I read the article and thought that you need to keep an open mind to what he was saying in the sense that like gee-dub says bar clamp sort of equal parallel clamp.  I know that Mike here likes the bar clamps and I like my parallel clamps and we are both happy with the result.

I think that buying clamps is a little like buying a lot of tools, don't just go out and buy a bunch of clamps because it looks cool all lined up on the wall, buy them when you need them for a project.  I had never owned any 50 inch clamps until the last project I did required something that large, so I now own 4.  And again like gee-dub said buy some and then buy some more until you aren't running out.  I got the project done but in hind sight If I were to do that build again I would have maybe doubled the number of 50's.

• Like 2

I have a number of Jorgensen 36" F type clamps as well as some lighter 36" ones from harbor freight. One thing I've learned is that the light ones have some advantages, in that their lightness makes them good for one hand placement/operation, and they are less likely to tip a project over from their own self weight. For me, sometimes when clamping, a project will temporarily be unbalanced until all the clamps are in place, so I start with these lightweight ones first just to hold it until I can get the more substantial clamps in place. Of course the low cost also makes it easier to have enough clamps to provide uniform clamping pressure.