Polissoir

Immortan D

2 minutes ago, Immortan D said:

I intend to make my own but I need to know what material to use (no speakers here so the video ain't helping lol). Will watch that video again at home.

Understood. He includes an email address at the end and might be willing to answer questions as you get going. 

Apparently it's good ol' broom corn, according to Chris Schwartz (http://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodworking-blogs/chris-schwarz-blog/make-nice-polissoir).

There's even a link to a PDF file with construction plans...

No idea how much an old broom costs so I can buy one and take it apart. I haven't seen one of those in years.

I made mine with straw from a hand whisk broom, and used the hose clamps to hold it in shape while I whipped it with seine twine around it.  I also made another out of bamboo skewers like dabro mentions.  The latter one should be able to texture softwood by removing the early wood but I haven't tried to do that yet.  They work well!  Be careful cutting the straw out of the hand whisk, it had more metal wire inside that surprised me, but I was just using a little hardpoint hand saw so it didn't result in anything 'exciting'.   

• Like 1