White haze under epoxy clear coat

Texan6923

Im new to this cite and working with wood. I will appreciate any and all answers to my question. But i had poured epoxy on 2 pieces of mesquite wood and let them dry. In certain places there was a white haze like this. Any idea what it is and how to prevent it in the future. Ive been told its just air but i want to be sure. 

20161222_162435.jpg

20 minutes ago, Texan6923 said:

I appreciate all yalls answers ill just strip it of chemically let the wood set for a little over a yeart and try again. 

After you strip all the epoxy down,  use a thick coating of latex paint on the end grain.  The goal is to slow down  the drying process through the end grain that is susceptible to fracturing due to rapid moisture loss

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

After you strip all the epoxy down,  use a thick coating of latex paint on the end grain.  The goal is to slow down  the drying process through the end grain that is susceptible to fracturing due to rapid moisture loss

This.

20 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

Maybe I don't understand Epoxy but it is used to waterproof boat hulls. I didn't think it would permeate at all. 

With wooden boats, the real waterproofing is a result of the wood in the hull absorbing a little bit of water, to the point where it swells up to form a perfect seal between the planks. (Check out the Tips From a Shipwright, Q&A episode from yesterday for a good explanation of that)

I don't think there is any coating that will completely seal wood well enough to prevent moisture transfer. There are always microscopic cracks that will develop that'll let moisture pass.