First try at Kumiko

Isaac

4 minutes ago, Chet K said:

+1

They had a project in their latest issue where they used a piece like that in the door of a cabinet.

Yup, same issue I think. Now that I've got the basic idea, I will definitely think about incorporating this in future projects where appropriate.

10 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Pretty slick, Isaac! Amazing that so many miters can hold together. How much time do you have in it so far?

I'd say I'm in for about 6 hours, which includes time to build the jigs. I'm not particularly fast either. The thing is, once you get things dialed in, I could see a person knocking out a screen like I've shown here pretty fast, since the parts are repeated and mostly interchangeable.

32 minutes ago, C Shaffer said:

Are the fixtures/jigs described the ones seen in this video? 

Yup, that is it. Here are my jigs, built per the article from a 12" cut off a 8/4 walnut:

IMG_20161223_123005623 (Large).jpg

17 minutes ago, Lester Burnham said:

I know it's got me looking into it. Really cool stuff.

You're doing a great job, Isaac. I dig it. I really want to get into this. It's good work for folks with tiny shops. Any suggestions or tips, I know you're just getting into it but it doesn't hurt to ask and what tools are you using?

Thanks!

For tips, I'd say, as long as you are making them, make a couple extra jigs, they take virtually no extra time or material in the moment, and you'll be happy having the ability to lock them in without having to change them for different pieces with the same angled miter but different lengths. Also, I haven't investigated yet, but I suspect other kumiko patterns would be produced similarly, just with different angles, so the extra jigs could be re-purposed just by re-cutting the end to the appropriate angle. 

Also, for me, as sharp as I've got my chisel (I don't really have anything to compare it to, but I know my sharpening is pretty good, at the very least it easily takes hair off my forearm), on the second one I made, I found it best to use my flush cut saw first and then the chisel just to peal off a thin fingernail layer to get a really nice surface. Otherwise, as you are pushing the chisel across, the risk of blowing out the back side is greater. It is tiny material, so even a sharp chisel can catch a little and break it out. So I guess think of the chisel really for shaving rather than cutting. Maybe that was the authors intent anyways, but I didn't quite get it at first and was starting with longer stock and thinking the chisel would shear it off clean, but that wasn't reliable.

• Like 2

Nice job on the panel. 

Lets see if this works. 

www.amazon.com/gp/product/0987258303/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Look for a guy named Desmond King, that is where Mike got his start from. From what I gather he read the guys book and went from there  

Looks like the link didn't become a link. 

• Like 1

On December 23, 2016 at 0:00 PM, C Shaffer said:

Are the fixtures/jigs described the ones seen in this video? 

I like something less Helter Skelter! Something that takes a little patience;)

Really cool looking Isaac! I think you might have started something!

• Like 1