Wood Liquor Dispenser

bushwacked

I saw this today and thought it would be pretty cool to make a version of this myself ... my questions are what should I use for piping? how clean will this be for long term use? I guess depending on your piping you can screw your spigot into it like they did? Would the brass turn green or effect the taste of the alcohol? 

b98ff75d636c9dbdebbc616a54340dcb.jpg

• Like 1

The alcohol should be self cleaning, so to speak, I don't think it will react with any common plumbing material, so you should be fine, safety wise, and I think the outside of those fittings won't be affected by the booze either. I'd say do it.

Just make sure the spigot is high enough to get the tallest glass you expect to use under it easily enough and make sure the whole thing is stable enough. I imagine people using this one handed (with the other on their glass). In that case, you don't want them pulling thing over when they try to turn the spigot on or off. Possibly think about some sort of wall cleat or other system to stabilize it? Maybe just rough one out of scraps and see if that is necessary, may be over kill.

• Like 2

Check out an online restaurant supply outlet.  Do some snooping around there site you might find some useful parts that will work for your internal operation.

Oh that's a good idea. I'll take a look.

Pretty good idea but just was trying not to have to hang it

Most of the ones I've seen, wood and granite, have no internal piping at all.    Whiskey is aged in wooden barrels, so if you use the right wood, there won't be any contamination issue.   If you want to get real fancy, you could char the inside of the wood with a blow torch, like the barrels.  That carbon might also help filter out more impurities from the whiskey.     Then just attach the spigot so it doesn't leak.  In the pic it looks like they just screwed it into the wood, presumably over a rubber gasket. 

• Like 1