Joining in from Savannah, Ga

erikreagan

Hey folks,

I recently started tinkering in my garage trying to build things. I'm brand new to woodworking and excited to start creating things for the house, office, gifts, etc. 

As a quick background on me, I'm a husband, a father of two (3 and 8), and a small business owner. In my career I've mostly just created things digitally. Now I want to get into creating things tangibly. I'm pretty ignorant to most things woodworking, but slowing building up an awareness through youtube videos, books, and time in the garage ("shop" is a bit generous a term for now).

This Christmas we bought our 3yr old a wooden train set. So my project over the next week is to build him a train table. I don't know how long it will take to build. And I'm sure I'll hit multiple issues along the way. But I'm excited to try and build it nonetheless.

Thanks and I'm excited to be here!

Erik

9 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Welcome, Erik!

Having been there and done that with the wooden trains, I offer one piece of advise - make it bigger than you think it needs to be!

Hm. Well I already cut the surface top to size, so hopefully it's big enough! Thanks though :)

- - -

mat60, pkinneb, BonPacific, shaneymack - Thanks for the welcomes!

10 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Having been there and done that with the wooden trains, I offer one piece of advise - make it bigger than you think it needs to be!

So you got me a little nervous after I thought more about it. I decided to lay the top sheet out and assemble the length and width of the train set on it just to double check my measurements. Thankfully I have about 1.5" of margin on the sides about about .5" of margin on the top and bottom. :)

IMG_9226.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rex Edgar said:

Welcome as well. Enjoy this time as you will be surprised at how fast it will be in the rear view mirror.

Thank you! And I certainly do my best to make the most of this time.

1 hour ago, Rex Edgar said:

Looks like a nice shop and equipment for a newfer!

I did a little hobby switching and sold some nice non-workshop stuff to build up a budget for some initial tools. So I had a solid starting point financially.

Thankfully it was a lateral move for the most part. So far, I've only used a few hundred bucks total from the bank account on tools. (Like I said, I sold some pretty nice stuff which gave me some cash on hand.)