The X table has some scars

rodger.

If you recall, I built a table a while back which I dubbed "the xtable" , due to its base.  The top is a price of circular glass, about 55" in diameter.

Anyway, after daily use for a few years, the top has become scratched.  Some are minor scratches, but there are a few deeper ones (the deepest on I can just catch my fingernail on).

Any advice on buffing them out?

Did you specify table top use when you purchased the glass?  I have a glass 'protector' on the top of a table that has rings of keys, change, whatever is going into of out of the house, etc. dropped on it and has for about 6 years without any indication of wear.  The glass shop was pretty specific about asking if this was just for the top of a dresser or if it was for a table.  Tempered versus annealed maybe?

7 hours ago, gee-dub said:

Did you specify table top use when you purchased the glass?  I have a glass 'protector' on the top of a table that has rings of keys, change, whatever is going into of out of the house, etc. dropped on it and has for about 6 years without any indication of wear.  The glass shop was pretty specific about asking if this was just for the top of a dresser or if it was for a table.  Tempered versus annealed maybe?

I called the glass place, and mentioned this to them.  He told me that tempered glass is used for tapletops, but that it is no more scratch resistant than other glass.

He also told me that his shop doesn't buff out scratches, and that deep scratches would very likely eave a distortion in the glass.

I'm gonna look around for a product like Steve suggested.

9 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Bear in ming that automotive windshields are laminations of tempered glass and some sort of plastic. I don't know if the crack / scratch repair material used on them will do the same for plate glass.

Good advice - thanks.  I'll look into it.

• 1 month later...