Hello from Bothell, Washington

Derek_PNW

Hi, Derek! Glad you decided to join us! It looks like you are off to a great start. I know you can find answers to any questions you have, this place is full of very knowledgeable folks. And don't forget to share your work! We all love a good project journal, and we learn from each other through them, too. No matter how new to the craft, there is always something you can share that will help someone else!

Hi, Derek! Glad you decided to join us! It looks like you are off to a great start. I know you can find answers to any questions you have, this place is full of very knowledgeable folks. And don't forget to share your work! We all love a good project journal, and we learn from each other through them, too. No matter how new to the craft, there is always something you can share that will help someone else!

Thanks for the warm welcome! That is a great idea to start a project journal! I have plenty of

Learnings (mistakes) to share already!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I like the wine balancer ! Clean work, especially for a beginner. Keep learning and ask questions. There's a lot of experience of all levels here. Listen to them.

And welcome to the Forum !

Thank you! We will see if my luck continues!

I am always looking to learn from others! I am completely new and can only watch so many videos and then to try to apply it to my situation! It will be good to hear from people with much more experience!

Until I start my own project log here is my first learning... a 1x6 does not mean it is 1"x6". I started on my first coffee table attempt and quickly found out the oak top was not wide enough since I didn't understand how lumber dimensions worked. This illustrates my background in woodworking. None.

c97657319e189cbc943c437114b16aa2.jpg

5d528a54b747980bd9545fb2dd0a8d0f.jpg

Welcome to the forums Derek!  I'm just North of Bellingham.  It's great to have another from the PNW here!

Thanks Tiods! Always glad to find someone in the local area!

Gee-Dub, what a good idea! Those tables look amazing!

I think I will start hoarding pallet wood. I really don't like wasting expensive and relatively rare hardwoods! I always tell myself there will be another use for the wood. The oak top will not be a repurposed for something else!

Welcome aboard, Derek! A bunch of folks here are from the PNW. I'm in Ballard, my father-in-law's shop is in Woodinville, and I drive past/through Bothell on a regular basis. It's good to have another beginner here -- though I have to say your projects look far more polished and professional than mine do! I've learned a lot here, so stick around and join the fun.

Welcome Derek

I am just north of you in Silver Lake/Mill Creek area. Drive through Bothell everyday on my way to and from work. 

On 1/2/2017 at 1:58 AM, sjk said:

Derek, have you found a hardwood dealer yet?  (other than Home Depot)

You'll find much better selection and prices at places like Compton Lumber and Crosscut Hardwoods, both in Seattle.

I cant speak for Compton Lumber, but just went to Crosscut for the first time a couple weeks ago. That place is amazing. Picked up some 8/4 Ash and 4/4 Pauduk for a nightstand for my sons room. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MattF said:

Welcome Derek

I am just north of you in Silver Lake/Mill Creek area. Drive through Bothell everyday on my way to and from work. 

I cant speak for Compton Lumber, but just went to Crosscut for the first time a couple weeks ago. That place is amazing. Picked up some 8/4 Ash and 4/4 Pauduk for a nightstand for my sons room. 

From another novice: welcome, Derek.  

And note that the hardwood dimensions above are specified differently and ARE true (I think!)

Crosscut does have a fantastic selection. The prices seem not unreasonable (at least insofar as lumber prices ever are). I'd recommend taking a saturday, and plan on spending an hour or more just browsing through their stocks.

Also, to anyone in the Greater Seattle area, I recommend looking into the Northwest Woodworkers Association. Membership is pretty cheap, and even if you can't make many of the meetings it's worth 10% off at Rockler, Woodcraft, Crosscut, and a few more places.

1 minute ago, BonPacific said:

Crosscut does have a fantastic selection. The prices seem not unreasonable (at least insofar as lumber prices ever are). I'd recommend taking a saturday, and plan on spending an hour or more just browsing through their stocks.

I would like to have spent more time there, but I had my wife and son with me. Im planning on taking another trip alone so I can really check out everything. 

Thanks everyone for the welcomes. I have dropped plenty of cash at Compton and Crosscuts... I really like just walking around Crosscuts. Compton had a good deal on shop birch ply. Here is what I have been using that ply for... this is also the reason I haven't been responding.

ca813436f6220544920fedf5e3d846c1.jpg

Also, anyone local that needs some help in the shop I am always happy to help. Looking to learn from more experienced folks in the NW. I will even help you clean...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Good to see other folks active in the area. I'm in Lake Forest Park, and just started some projects to save some $ while getting some useful furniture and fun out of it. I came here to sell a Fuji sprayer I picked up but no longer need (amazon is a problem), but will definitely be lurking around to see what's up and learn along the way.

Here's some photos of what I've done over the past year (no "fine" woodworking yet, but I'm happy function and simplicity!). Simple tables with pre-fab legs from home D and cheap 2x lumber for the dining table, and nicer 5/4 cvg for the matching coffee/side tables. 

Table1.jpg

Tables 2.jpg