No jointer

Andy Faust

A circular saw and straightedge guide can work for making one edge straight, and more or less square to the face.

Since you have a thickness planer and a circular saw, I suggest cutting a plywood 'sled' to go under the board. Use shims and hot glue to make the board stable against the plywood, then pass the assembly through the planer (board side up) until the top face is flat. Then remove the ply, clean away any glue residue, and pass the board through with the flat side down to make the opposite face flat and parallel.

Now use your circular saw and a straightedge to rip one edge straight and square. Making the opposite edge straight, square to the faces, and parallel to the first edge is easiest with a tablesaw. It can also be done with a circ saw and edge guide, or by running the board on edge through the planer (sketchy operation with thinner stock), or by careful marking, ripping, and hand planing.

• Like 1

I have just watched Matts batsment workshop. And he uses this exact way to flatten large boards as you are talking about.

Hopefully some day I'll be able to start looking for a jointer but this should hold me over and now I can start to make things out of solid wood at home. But I definitely need a table saw first. 

... But I definitely need a table saw first. 

Don't let this percieved "need" hold you back. Plenty of fine furniture was and is made using a collection of hand tools small enough to carry around in a single tote!

Check out Shannon Rogers at http://www.renniasancewoodworker.com

Even if neanderthal woodworking isn't your end goal, there are plenty of tips to help you keep working as you build up your powered workshop.

Since you just received a planer, best way to have the wide face squared in a planer is to place (double sided tape) the wood on a known jointed flat piece of wood (mdf, melamine) and pass it through the planer. That will square one face and then you can use that as a guide to joint the other side in the planer.  If your wood is too wobbly, you might want to add some paper or extra tape to pad that surface at the base to straighten things, otherwise you'll shave off quite a lot of wood while planing.   I personally do not have a planer, but have a router, so i use a router plane jig to do it (it can get annoying, but works)

For the edges, I use a table saw jig that looks similar to pic. As long as your rails are snug with minimal wobble, your edge will be jointed perfectly everytime. 1_RipWithJig.jpg

I replied without reading other comments, so ignore any repetitions. :)

3 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Not sure that I agree with your first statement. How does the mdf that you double side tape the said board to, differ from the flat bed of the planer? 

Sleep on it Ken. The bed stays put making a curved piece move. If you tape that curved piece to a flat piece that moves with it, your piece won't follow its curve. Google planer sled. 

• Like 1

Just now, K Cooper said:

I have a planer sled where I use solid stock, shims or playing cards, that holds the board in place. My double sided tape has a foam core, allowing it to move. I guess I'm missing something? Glad I have a jointer! 

That makes more sense. I did not get that question from your prior post. That is a legit concern potential. 

On 1/2/2017 at 10:29 PM, K Cooper said:

I have a planer sled where I use solid stock, shims or playing cards, that holds the board in place. My double sided tape has a foam core, allowing it to move. I guess I'm missing something? Glad I have a jointer! 

Ah, the double sided tape I use is plastic only, no foam (foam sure would be a concern). I use it for my router plane jig and it keeps the stock well in place figured it should work with a planer sled too.  I also make sure to apply tape in an H pattern so it has a better grip from both directions (in my case).