Seized on router bit -updated/resolved

Doomwolf

I was using a router today to waste out a large (3") half-lap joint. When I finished the job, I couldn't get the collet to unscrew and release the router bit. Does anyone have suggestions? I got the router off my Dad, who is a man of many skills, but taking care of tools is not one of them, so the collet wrenches are long gone and I used regular combination wrenches instead. Is it possible that I way over tightened things and jammed the whole assembly on?

For reference, it's a Black and Decker router with a 9/16" straight bit w/ top bearing in it.

Update - the bit is out. Back on the day of, I sprayed some WD-40, waited a few minutes, and tried again. No dice. 

Today I was going by the makerspace I used, so I dropped in with the router to see if the owner new any tricks. He heaved on the wrenches and it came off almost immediately. I attribute this to the following:

1-The collet knew that Someone was watching.

2-I have weedy office-worker arms, Greg does not.

3-Maybe leaving the WD-40 to sit for a week helped.

Thank you to all who posted. I tried Google searching it first and there was some post on another forum where people were telling a guy to make a 'U' shape with wood and run the router with the nut up against it or something......that seemed decidedly unsafe to me. 

• Like 1