My Saw Broke

Mr. Redwood

I bought a rockwell 9" table saw about a year back, and in that time the fence that came with it was absolute trash and was soon thrown away. I thought (as a woodworker) that I can reconfigure the whole saw by putting a hard board top on it, build a rail and a fence for it. The hard board top works flawlessly, but the fence not so well. I made around 5 different fences, some made of plywood, hardwood and I even welded up a design, but each failed. So after a year of frustration I brought back my old Delta job site saw which works well but not ideal. The only problem is that it is extremely loud, even for a job site saw, the motor is fine, it is just the saw. So my problem here is if I fix my rockwell and make a new fence (any plans?) or just soundproof my Delta? All opinions are welcomed, I have no idea what to do.

Thanks and Happy Woodworking

my first thought is none of the above. get a new saw, do a search here and see what fits your budget and how serious you are and go from there. a new fence is just more problems (you made 5 already that didn't work) and you will never get the Delta quiet. 

beat me too it Coop, I'm getting' slow

• Like 2

I had a 9" Rockwell saw, and if yours is the same model, you have my condolences. I always had to struggle with it, but didn't realize how bad it was until I bought a $400 Jet contractor saw.

For a couple of hundred dollars you could get a used saw that's far better.

If you want to fiddle with wood, and not a table saw, sell both and buy a decent used full size contractor saw with a belt drive induction motor and decent fence....or at least one that's cheap enough to justify adding a decent fence.  There are good saws on CL near me routinely < $250....

n2ibw91.jpg

On 1/3/2017 at 6:25 PM, Mr. Redwood said:

The rockwell is an amazing saw, other than the fence, and all the saws i'm looking at are a long way from my budget.

I'm confused by this as you state " So after a year of frustration I brought back my old Delta job site saw which works well but not ideal.".  If you are enamored with the saw and want to restore it, that's all well and good.  If you want to get to making sawdust, I have to agree that a used C-man 113.xxxxxx series and a decent fence will get you going and probably make you happier.

• Like 1

My question is, why is the saw too loud?  Are you not wearing hearing protection?  I decent set of earmuffs with 25ish db reduction are relatively cheap.  Foam earplugs are nearly free they're so cheap.   I just sprung for the 3M bluetooth 'muffs and watched a couple movies while wearing them. 

Now if it's neighbors/family that think the saw is too loud, well.... get 'em some ear plugs... they're cheap in bulk. 

5 hours ago, Marmotjr said:

My question is, why is the saw too loud?  Are you not wearing hearing protection?  I decent set of earmuffs with 25ish db reduction are relatively cheap.  Foam earplugs are nearly free they're so cheap.   I just sprung for the 3M bluetooth 'muffs and watched a couple movies while wearing them. 

Now if it's neighbors/family that think the saw is too loud, well.... get 'em some ear plugs... they're cheap in bulk. 

Yes I wear earmuffs, safety glasses and a dust mask, My next door neighbor heard it from her house (through my closed shop doors) and I try not to make my woodworking hobby a nuisance.

On 1/5/2017 at 1:29 PM, Marmotjr said:

On 1/5/2017 at 6:52 PM, Mr. Redwood said:

Yes I wear earmuffs, safety glasses and a dust mask, My next door neighbor heard it from her house (through my closed shop doors) and I try not to make my woodworking hobby a nuisance.

The saws with universal motors tend to be a lot louder than saws with induction motors.  

With that said, from inside my house I can hear my neighbors mowing their lawns and plowing their driveways, but that doesn't mean I expect them to cease doing those activities.  As long as you're not making a lot of noise late at night or early in the morning, just do what you gotta do....you have a right to your life and activities too.  It's always good to be considerate, but if people are extremely sensitive about sound, they really should live somewhere in the boonies with no neighbors nearby.