Stuck bolt help

Marmotjr

Craftsman 10" contractors table saw, I noticed the other day my fence was out of alignment, not parallel to the blade.   It's off about 1/32-1/16 from end to end.  Dragged up the manual and figured out how to make the adjustment.  There's 2 machine bolts (6mm hex wrench) that hold the fence to the locking mechanism.    These suckers are jammed solid.   They're steel, set into extruded aluminum.  I've soaked them in 3-1 oil, brought the fence inside overnight to warmup, hit the bolts with a blow torch, and put as much force on the wrench as I dare.    Still no movement.

Any other tricks I'm missing?

9 minutes ago, freedhardwoods said:

Wow. I've never run into a bolt that heat wouldn't bring out, and I've worked on some real nasty ones.

Same here, I've done industrial machine repair and that was always my goto fix.   This is a 15-20 year old saw, and I'm sure the previous owner (my father lol) never adjusted those bolts after the initial setup.  But after the years, one small move, and a big move, it's fallen out of whack.   I've had a kickback with this saw, and this,  and the lack of a riving knife usable on small cuts, scares the crap out of me to use it now for for small cuts. 

I do use the huge knife that came with it for bigger cuts, but it's got a large hood and the anti-kick fingers that make cuts under a few inches very difficult to handle.   I've made some feather boards on my printer, a couple decent push sticks, the microjig splitter set should be here today, and I picked up a grrrrrripper.   But even with all that, an out of alignment fence is no good.  Even if doesn't kick on me, the cut won't be square. 

Soooo.... gotta get these bolts out, and cleanly.   The aluminum seems super soft after years of having worked with hardened steel machines, so I don't want to mangle it.  I've already had to retap the holes on the far end clamp of the fence to hold it on the table.  The screws were falling out as the saw ran, so a couple M5 bolts tapped and hold nicely now. 

11 minutes ago, Woodenskye said:

Maybe your dad used locktite or something stronger on them when he assembled.  It is odd that it wouldn't come off with heat.

I doubt this, but it is possible. 

9 minutes ago, freedhardwoods said:

This is a long shot, and it might screw up the aluminum, but you could put a big nut large enough to fit over the hex head of the stuck bolt and weld it as hot as you dare. That would heat the whole bolt cherry red and break the corrosion. It could melt the aluminum bad enough you couldn't even re-tap it though.

It's a round head bolt, and I don't have a power source able to handle my welder.   I suck at welding aluminum too, so I really don't want to risk messing it up. 

2 hours ago, Immortan D said:

I think you have to heat the aluminum, not the bolts.

Heating the metal around the bolt and trying to turn the bolt while the metal is hot works real well on steel. I'm a little gun shy about heating aluminum. One second your heating it, the next second it's a big puddle on the floor.  HB.gif

I forgot the last part about heating the bolt. You have to let it cool and shrink back to normal size before trying to remove it. The heat along with the expanding and shrinking breaks the grip of the corrosion.

1 minute ago, freedhardwoods said:

Heating the metal around the bolt and trying to turn the bolt while the metal is hot works real well on steel. I'm a little gun shy about heating aluminum. One second your heating it, the next second it's a big puddle on the floor.  HB.gif

I forgot the last part about heating the bolt. You have to let it cool and shrink back to normal size before trying to remove it.

Yeah I guess you have to be really quick at torching the aluminum. Also heating the bolt yellow hot and then some tapping compound may help. But the problem is we don't know for sure what metal is that bolt made of or coated with. Galvanized metal fumes are really poisonous.

That said, if it were my fence, I'd just use oil and an impact wrench. If I blow the head off then I'd deal with that.

3 hours ago, Marmotjr said:

It's a round head bolt, and I don't have a power source able to handle my welder.   I suck at welding aluminum too, so I really don't want to risk messing it up. 

I missed where you said "welding aluminum". You weld the bead inside the big nut to the bolt head creating a huge bolt head. Steel to steel

5 minutes ago, Immortan D said:

But the problem is we don't know for sure what metal is that bolt made of or coated with. Galvanized metal fumes are really poisonous.

That is true. As long as you have good ventilation, you're ok. I used to weld galvanized panels 8 hours a day.

• Like 1