Purchasing a Jet 20" Planer

tim0625

Looking to make a purchase - Rockler has the Jets on sale with free shipping.  I am a hobby woodworker but I don't want to barely get by on the power so I'm asking 3hp or 5hp?

Why would I need the 5hp?

Also, If I get the regular knives now, could I upgrade to a helical head pretty easy or is it better to take the plunge now?

Thanks

Tim

• Like 1

If you are going to do it eventually, i would do it now on the helical head. Swapping them looks like a gigantic PITA, not to mention the cost of the head, bearings, etc. Plus, last year there was some wacky manufacturing shortage and they were back ordered for 6+ months, i believe. My 20" PM with byrd head is 5hp, so i cant comment on if 3hp is enough. Just looking at the market, the budget/older 20" machines are 3hp, and the new mid-range/light industrial 20" machines are 5hp. This is Grizzly, PM, Jet, Bridewood, Hammer, etc. Whoever makes stuff for small shops and hobbyists. Im no expert, but looks like a well designed jointer or planer 12-15" capacity is well served with 3hp. 16"-20" is when you see everyone step up to 5hp+. If you get a helical head, i would consider the 5hp machine. Congrats on the purchase, i really like my machine so far. Coming up on a year of ownership right now, but i can only compare it to a dw735.

The 735 is what I have now and I really have no complaints but I'm looking at doing some glue-ups that would require more than 12.5" or 13". Grizzly 5hp helical = $2200, Jet 5hp helical $2900 w/ free shipping. New Jet equipment is usually a little over priced IMO but it's on sale and the shipping is worth almost $200. I have a Grizzly 5hp table saw and am really happy. Wonder if  there is a big quality difference between the two?

Its very possible im about to be stoned by the masses for saying this, but i own a powermatic 209hh. I have a local woodworker that has the G1033X that ive seen, but not used. Without the paint, i would be really hard pressed to identify the difference between the two machines.The power switch is different, and the PM has these crappy built in casters. I say 'crappy', because they barely roll, and they dont swivel; however, they did allow me to man handle it off the pallet and into place by myself, which was sweet. It was nice not to have to spend $150 on some mobility kit ill use once a year. Also, keep in mind i have a 5 year warranty and higher perceived resale value on the used market versus my friend's grizzly. Compare the prices. This grizzly is not cheap. After the sale price, the grizzly and pm were comparable for me(i have to pay sales tax on the grizzly). My case was unique, because i had a byrd cutterhead from a friend, but i might have gone grizzly otherwise. I think Jet sucks, but thats just me. Id go grizzly, or i would step up to powermatic. No middle ground for me.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/20-5-HP-Spiral-Cutterhead-Planer/G1033X

34 minutes ago, tim0625 said:

Grizzly 5hp helical = $2200, Jet 5hp helical $2900 w/ free shipping. 

The $2200 Grizzly is the one they closed out to make way for the planers with the W on the end of the model number indicating it is coming from the new factory.  There aren't any more G0454Z available, the new G0454ZW is $2625 plus shipping so if you need liftgate it is about $2850.   The Jet price is $2865 in this case you are getting 4 years of warranty for $15, this is assuming one thinks the Jet and Grizzly or otherwise essentially identical.

6 minutes ago, tim0625 said:

"New factory".....wonder where?  Where are the Gizzly's made?  How about the Jet? China?????

The devil is in the details. China and Taiwan to answer your question. Boff. It explains the price gap between two seemingly identical tools by grizzly. Look at the 609 jointer versus the 9860. On and on and on across their catalog. 

38 minutes ago, gee-dub said:

Lift gate is only $25 in these parts but, they can back right into my driveway so maybe its more for rough terrain?  The G0454W is made in China according to the spec sheet.

Note I only added $45 for liftgate delivery the other $179 was the standard shipping on the G0454ZW.   Liftgate will vary a few bucks depending on the common carrier they use for your area but somewhere around $40-50 is average nationally.  

28 minutes ago, HuxleyWood said:

Note I only added $45 for liftgate delivery the other $179 was the standard shipping on the G0454ZW.   Liftgate will vary a few bucks depending on the common carrier they use for your area but somewhere around $40-50 is average nationally.  

Doh!  Sorry about that ;-)

I have a business a block away where the guy allows me to drive his forklift to my house and take things off of the truck.  I borrowed it last to get my Grizzly 1023RLWX table saw off of the truck.  Nice to take it right up to the door of the shop.  I just slid it inside until I could weld together my mobile base.  Then was the challenge....three of us picking that saw up and setting it in the base.  Once in was in there, I could move it around easily. 

Tablesaw Mobile Base.jpg

It is pretty sad when two MANAGERS either don't know their product line better than that or were being intentionally misleading, not a ringing endorsement for Grizzly.  

11 minutes ago, RichardA said:

I just went by the folks that sold me my new saw.  They told me the W's are from Taiwan and have much better quality control.   I don't care  , I'm just passing on what two grizz managers told me.

I have the 16" Jet planer (3HP) that I purchased used with straight knives.  Before that I owned the DW735.  I upgraded the Jet to the Byrd shelix head almost immediately after purchase, they are expensive but worth the money in my opinion.  Having never swapped a cutter head out before, it took me several hours accompanied with some swearing.  I know you are looking at 4" more capacity but I have never bogged mine down before with only 3HP.    

Comparison chart with country of origin:

067.jpg

Not sure I get why the G0454Z which is made in Taiwan is $2200 while the G0454ZW which is supposedly made in China is more at $2600.  The G0454Z is "not available for immediate shipment" but it does not indicate they will no longer make or sell them.  $2200 for a 20" spiral cutterhead planer is a steal.

9 minutes ago, andrew-in-austin said:

No sure I get why the G0454Z which is made in Taiwan is $2200 while the G0454ZW which is supposedly made in China is more at $2600.  The G0454Z is "not available for immediate shipment" but it does not indicate they will no longer make or sell them.  $2200 for a 20" spiral cutterhead planer is a steal.

As I mentioned earlier the non-W series planers were discontinued and the prices you see online and in the 2017 catalog were the closeout prices to get them moved, they haven't been in stock for a while.  The W series are the replacements and are priced just above what the non-W series planers were last year, I think the 20" insert cutter head version is $50 more.  

42 minutes ago, HuxleyWood said:

It is pretty sad when two MANAGERS either don't know their product line better than that or were being intentionally misleading, not a ringing endorsement for Grizzly.  

One considers that you are more informed than those that actually are employed by the company.  I bow to your knowledge.

1 hour ago, RichardA said:

One considers that you are more informed than those that actually are employed by the company.  I bow to your knowledge.

57 minutes ago, HuxleyWood said:

In this case your bowage would be warranted.  Just go to the Grizzly site and see for yourself...

I just had a bowl of shrimp gumbo, sure was good! 

+ 3 - drum sander