tim0625

Purchasing a Jet 20" Planer

34 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

I just had a bowl of shrimp gumbo, sure was good! 

File or okra?

Okra has it's place and that's fried:D

3 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Okra has it's place and that's fried:D

We agree 100%.  

7 hours ago, Pwk5017 said:

seen, but not used. Without the paint, i would be really hard pressed to identify the difference between the two machines

I wouldn't be surprised if the 2 companies used the exact same designs and parts for most machines. But...The difference is always in the quality control.

That said, I have had a cheaper planer and I think planers are a pretty simple design, and even the cheap ones tend to work really well.  I personally probably won't upgrade my planer until I've upgraded a few other things first, namely the jointer. Lots more to go wrong there.

14 hours ago, Mike. said:

sounds like you need a drum sander, not a planer.  

Could be.....I want to do some glue ups using 3/4 stock and end up with  1/2" pizza peels. I could plane the 3/4 down to 5/8 or less, glue up, and then go through a drum sander?

Also, I'm making cutting boards. Glue up 6/4 and I want to end up with around 5/4. It seems to me that a planer would make that final pass nice leveling everything.  I have a Dewalt 735 but I'm game if a drum sander would work for what I'm after. Weigh in.

In general, a drum sander is a better machine for surfacing glued up panels, for a bunch of reasons:

1) no snipe

2) no tear out.  Glued up panels typically have changing grain direction from one board to the next.  

3) glue lines are hard on planer knives

4) less hand sanding

I plane my boards a to about 1/64" over my desired thickness before gluing, then finish in the DS.

1 person likes this

Is both an option? I prefer my planer over my DS whenever possible. At a certain point the DS is a necessary evil. 20"+ panels, tearout prone grain, thin stuff, end grain, cross grain, etc. My ideal method is 1/16" pass through the planer to level/flatten and then take the lightest cut at 150grit on the DS to get it ready for ROS and finish. Drum sanders are painfully slow, and small ones have to be even more painful. 1/16" is asking a lot of a DS, or a lot of your time in the form of 3-4 passes per face. My glueups without dominoes are almost always out a 1/16", so that is a 1/16 on top and the same on the bottom. 

It is a good point, however, a drum sander probably would serve you better than stepping up to a big planer. The supermax and powermatic sanders are a heck of a lot less than a good 20" byrd too!

4 hours ago, tim0625 said:

Also, I'm making cutting boards. Glue up 6/4 and I want to end up with around 5/4. It seems to me that a planer would make that final pass nice leveling everything. 

You really don't want to send end grain through the planer.  A few people say they have had success doing it but in general it  is a disaster waiting to happen and the drum sander does a great job of leveling.  It is also better if you have had to epoxy and cracks or gaps in your work.

And something like the SuperMax 19-38 drum sander is almost half the price of some of the planers mentioned here.

1 person likes this