JosephThomas

Spring Joint

28 posts in this topic

Yes I too think you nailed that one.

1 person likes this

Like sjk mentioned, the recent issue of Popular Woodworking has an article on the spring joint.  They mention that the gap should be big enough to just slide a piece of copy paper through it, or at most a business card.  I am going to be using this method to build an alaia, which is basically a solid wooden surfboard.  I think that the spring joint will work well for this scenario.  If not, well then it won't be much of an issue, as I have broken plenty of boards in the past.

1 person likes this

30 minutes ago, doyle007 said:

Like sjk mentioned, the recent issue of Popular Woodworking has an article on the spring joint.  They mention that the gap should be big enough to just slide a piece of copy paper through it, or at most a business card.  I am going to be using this method to build an alaia, which is basically a solid wooden surfboard.  I think that the spring joint will work well for this scenario.  If not, well then it won't be much of an issue, as I have broken plenty of boards in the past.

I'll be eagerly waiting to see that project!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Popular Now

• Topics

• Hi Andy.   Im not saying it wont work ok but the bag will fill up fast depending on how much you do and it seems in the way. His wood drags on his bag if you dont hold it up also.
    • Hey I have the same planer  and am looking in to a cheep way do get adequate dust collection from it. What do you think of the drunken woodworking perch at make something. Looks like the bag is running about $40 on Amazon.   
    • Because I'm a renter I've never gone in for hanging up my tools or any kind of shelving/cabinetry. What I've been using is a mobile cart. Mine is a typical hotel "maid's cart" but any wheeled cart would do. While I have gone that route out of necessity, I think when I move into my own space I will continue with the cart. I will hang the seldom used tools and clamps in or on some kind of storage, but the oft-used hand tools will stay on the cart. http:// The upside is I can move it around as needed, and also I'm not spending any time making shop cabinets. The downside is that things get cluttered at times. I have to do a "spring clean-up" on the cart every once in a while or items start to pile up and I end up having to dig around to pull out a marking gauge or a rasp or something.
    • Our house is sided with rough sawn board and batten, probably cedar, and will occasionally catch our two cats using it as a scratching post lol. They do the same with the 2x4's that serve as our newel posts at the bottom of the stairs to the basement. I will be wrapping them in sisal rope when I get some time but other than that, I love em both, sounds like a cool project and you'll have to keep us updated.
    • So....I guess I was the only one that had to buy the subscription to access all the archives online? It cost about 80 bucks. My online membership only let go back and view a year or two's worth of content. 
  • Popular Contributors

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room