Starting to like it

Ronn W

11 minutes ago, Ronn W said:

I don't have much skill with hand planes, and really only use a low angle block plane - indispensible.  I have had an old Stanley #4 smoothing plane for years but coul never get it to make a decent cut.  I think it had a lot to do with the fact the the edges of the mouth opening in the sole were were not flat with the sole.  So bad that no a mount of flattening would fix it.  So I asked Santa-wife for a Wood River #4 for Christmas.  Got it all sharpened to 8000G set the blade so that the throat gap to be very small and kept the chip breaker within 1/16" of the edge of the blade and...... Wow!!  This is cool.  It's so smooth and even.  Look at those gossemar full width shavings! 

I had agreed to do a memorial box for a friends 2 dogs and decided to make a rounded top like Marc used for his "Scrap wood boxes".  Used the plane to create the curve and really needed very little sanding afterward and that was curly maple. First coat of shellac is drying but here is a pic.  With a good plane, it was fun.  I feel like a kid with a new toy.

P1010001.JPG

I had the same revelation when I got my Woodriver #4.

If you're using it as a smoother try taking the chip breaker down to 1/32nd or 1/64th from the edge and you'll get (extra) nice performance from that plane.

Nice! I picked up hand planes a couple of years ago and I really enjoy them. FYI (I noticed you're in MN) the Robinsdale Community Education has a couple handtool classes taught by Tom Howard. I took them and for the money I found it to be well worth it.

http://rdale.org/UserFiles/Servers/Server_230078/File/Departments/Community Education/Enrichment/Adult Enrichment/AdultCatalog.pdf

2 hours ago, pkinneb said:

Nice! I picked up hand planes a couple of years ago and I really enjoy them. FYI (I noticed you're in MN) the Robinsdale Community Education has a couple handtool classes taught by Tom Howard. I took them and for the money I found it to be well worth it.

Thanks for the info.