Side Table: Exercise in Veneering

wnaziri

9 hours ago, Chet K said:

are you using a beer proof finish on the table.

I think I will be whipping out my HVLP for its maiden voyage with some pre-cat dynamite proof lacquer. :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Alan G said:

How thick are the overlay pieces at the base of the legs?

The overlay is 1/8" so far.  The top will have commercial veneer.

47 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Do you have a vacuum setup?

I do not.  I have been considering one for a while.  I may end up buying one.  The top is 16 X 16 and I may be able to get away just using clamps. 

I do not.  I have been considering one for a while.  I may end up buying one.  The top is 16 X 16 and I may be able to get away just using clamps. 

You may be able to "get away just using clamps" but how boring is that ! With a crazy shop and tools like you have you HAVE to get a vac setup :)

Have a look at the vacupress systems. You know you want one...

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

You may be able to "get away just using clamps" but how boring is that ! With a crazy shop and tools like you have you HAVE to get a vac setup :)

Have a look at the vacupress systems. You know you want one...

Agreed!

8 minutes ago, Ronn W said:

Can you show more details on the leg banding.

Unfortunately, I did not take any pics of interim steps.  However, I cut a 1/8" kerf in each leg on all sides (before I tapered the legs) and then filled with mahogany that I cut 1/8' thick.  I glued two opposing sides at a time which allowed me to clamp them. The corners are not mitered.

@shaneymack I WILL be getting a vacuum but I need to pace myself.  Plus, stop encouraging me.  Do you know how much you have cost me already with all my Festool crap (Domino XL, track saw, 3 sanders, routers, etc)?

Just to show you that I am not afraid of making my tools just purrrfect, this is what I did this Christmas:

IMG_4076.jpg

I hate using sleds on my table saw.  So, after looking at my options, I decided to go with a SawStop sliding table.  It is amazing.  By the way, I blame @wdwerker for this one.

Haha! Just here to help, Wade ! ;)

When i move to or build a bigger shop I will probably add that sliding table as well. How do you like it?

12 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

When i move to or build a bigger shop I will probably add that sliding table as well. How do you like it?

The reason I chose the SawStop was its compact size and how well its built.  It really does not take much space so, don't wait.

How do I like it?  I LOVE it.  It really makes X-cutting so simple and efficient.  Making the table base took so little time.  It does not have stops for 0 and 45, so you have to make sure you get it locked in place before you push your piece through.  The first cut I made was off and when I looked at the gauge, it was not at 0 degrees.  By pushing it, I had changed the angle.  Now, I tighten it well and no further issues.  I highly recommend it.  

The reason I chose the SawStop was its compact size and how well its built.  It really does not take much space so, don't wait.

How do I like it?  I LOVE it.  It really makes X-cutting so simple and efficient.  Making the table base took so little time.  It does not have stops for 0 and 45, so you have to make sure you get it locked in place before you push your piece through.  The first cut I made was off and when I looked at the gauge, it was not at 0 degrees.  By pushing it, I had changed the angle.  Now, I tighten it well and no further issues.  I highly recommend it.  

Good to know. I think that is the only downside to it, no stops. I can't understand why they would not put atleast a stop at 90°. Is it not a pain in the butt to have to have to double check your 90° everytime after using it at a different angle?

3 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Is it not a pain in the butt to have to have to double check your 90° everytime after using it at a different angle?

I do wish they had the two stops.  However, checking 90 takes about 4.3 seconds.  The good thing is that I will rarely be cutting something other than 90.  For me it was trade off and I really, really liked the build quality of the SawStop product.  It is so solid.  I thought it was good match for my saw.

• Like 1

Really excited about putting this baby to work this weekend.  You might be seeing lots more veneer pieces form me.  It looks my next purchase will be a nice scroll saw.  Suggestions?

Wade, is that the vacupress industrial 10 cfm??? If it is, I'm drooling.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk