Lost a tooth

Chet

I was using my table saw and was noticing a unusual vibration.  I turned it off to see what was going on and discovered that I was missing a tooth on my saw blade.  It is a Freud glue line rip, full kerf.  I changed it out to my cross cut blade and the vibration was gone.  Amazing what one tooth missing can do.

My question is, can I get another tooth braised on and is this even a good Idea?  Or should I just replace it the blade?  Is this a sign that something is failing with  blade?

Most any saw sharpener can replace teeth, it is a normal process but the blade will have to be resharpened at the time.  I am surprised a single tooth caused any vibration I have run blades with 2-3 teeth in a row missing and never had any noticable vibration, it is possible the plate is slightly bent also.  Even if that is the case a good sharpener will take care of that as well.

• Like 1

I haven't had my own table saw for long, how much does it typically cost to get a blade sharpened and how do I locate someone to do this service when the time comes? Is there a certain sort of company that typically does it as part of their larger collection of services, or am I looking for some lone wolf that just sharpens table saw blades?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Isaac Gaetz said:

I haven't had my own table saw for long, how much does it typically cost to get a blade sharpened and how do I locate someone to do this service when the time comes? Is there a certain sort of company that typically does it as part of their larger collection of services, or am I looking for some lone wolf that just sharpens table saw blades?

With todays complex modern blade geometry the days of the old guy sharpening blades from a small shop are basically gone.  You want to see machines like in the link below being used.  Depending on where you live there may be an excellent saw service near you if not there are plenty of mail order services avaiable such as Cooks, Ridge, Forrest and many more.  Cost varies by several factors and I will include a link to give you an idea, it also varies from shop to shop and region to region.  

http://www.cookssharpening.com/id3.html

https://www.forrestblades.com/forrest-factory-carbide-saw-blade-sharpening.html

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Isaac Gaetz said:

Isaac,  Yea they usually do A number of things.  The guy I use sharpens anything that is sharp and you can hurt yourself with. :D  Knives Saw blades, hand saws, gardening tools, lawn mowers.  He charges by the tooth on my saw blades.  I am fortunate in that a lot of times when they do it all they don't do anything great but I have no complaints.

• Like 1

I haven't been woodworking long enough to know when my blades are getting dull.  I'm away from my shop for the winter, but I think I'm going to upgrade my saw blades when I get back to it in the spring.  How often should I get my new blades sharpened?  I know it depends on what types of wood I'm cutting and how, but are we talking once a month, once a year, or longer?

1 hour ago, Seth Clayton said:

I haven't been woodworking long enough to know when my blades are getting dull.  I'm away from my shop for the winter, but I think I'm going to upgrade my saw blades when I get back to it in the spring.  How often should I get my new blades sharpened?  I know it depends on what types of wood I'm cutting and how, but are we talking once a month, once a year, or longer?

No one can tell you how often they need sharpened, the answer will always be "when they need it."

Just watch for a change in performance.  Maybe some burning that wasn't happening before, maybe some chip out, maybe you can tell your saw is working harder than before by the sound of the blade/motor.  Of course these things can point to the blade simply being dirty, too.  

• Like 1