Completed Outdoor Table

akochevar

Surprisingly enough, 2x10 douglas fir from the Orange store... with as much work as it took to mill it up I would definitely do something nicer the next time.  Stained and then finished with Epifanes gloss and then matte.  The Matte looks awesome for outdoor projects, but as a wiping varnish mixed 50/50 with naptha did leave streaks I just gave up on getting out.  Project took too long as it was!

I cut mortises in the end of the tops and matching ones on the breadboards like Marc does in his video, although I am certain I took 10x as long without the Domino.  I then glued tenons on the top side, and did a traditional breadboard end, floating all the tenons except the inner 2.  The benches were done in the spring, and its been amazing to watch the breadboards move over the last 9 months!

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it, it was definitely a labor of love... and hate for construction grade lumber.  I keep telling everyone that my next projects will be things I can hold in my hand. 

PondHockey, great question.  The photos were taken yesterday, not to mention I live in the desert!  I did a lot of research on what finish to use and in the end really thought that Marc's plan for exterior doors was the right way to go on the table.  He used an oil/varnish blend with blo/epifanes/naptha which is what I did for the first couple of coats, but the table just wouldn't take any more oil because it was stained.  I know I will need to sand back and recoat with 1-2 coats each year, at least to the tops.  In the end I dont think this will take too long, and is way better than what can happen to thick coats of poly.

This looks absolutely amazing!  I am expanding my deck in the spring and would like a table to go on it for gatherings..  But living in WI, I don't know what I would use for a finish that could take the abuse of temperature and humidity swings.  Congrats!

we are excited to use it, been over a year in the making.  I cant tell you how many people have said "thats too nice to have outside!"

New projects?!  hmm.. definitely smaller projects.  Maybe some jewelry boxes, pen boxes, a shelf or 2 Ive been meaning to work on....  who knows...

This looks absolutely amazing!  I am expanding my deck in the spring and would like a table to go on it for gatherings..  But living in WI, I don't know what I would use for a finish that could take the abuse of temperature and humidity swings.  Congrats!

Matt Cremona's farmhouse table lives outside at his house in Minnesota...I believe he used epifanes, might have done clear penetrating epoxy beneath that too, I forget.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, akochevar said:

Surprisingly enough, 2x10 douglas fir from the Orange store... with as much work as it took to mill it up I would definitely do something nicer the next time.

I found this to be true when making a base for a workbench.  By the time you account for all the waste you can buy properly milled and stored poplar and come out ahead ;-)

Beautiful table.  I have heard good things about Epiphanes and will be glad to hear about how it has done for you over time.