How "used" is "too used"?

Seth Clayton

Like Mel said if you are mechanically able...  From there you have to decide how much effort you want to put into it versus actually being able to do some woodworking.  Most parts can be found because they are common like bolts and motors, blades and fences.   But things like a broken or damaged trunnon on a table or band saw become a hard thing to replace on older tools.

That jointer looks like a generic turd, and it would almost have to be free for me to take it. Still, if it runs and the tables/fence arent warped, then you could easily get it performing well. Keep in mind, if something breaks on it, chances are the whole tool is scrap. However, if belts, bearings, knives, motor, switch go on you, you can easily replace those. 

That saw is a PM65, i believe. This would make me a bit nervous in the parts department too, because that tool is 60+ years out of production. However, if it operates now, then you are fine. All electrical components can be replaced down the road. What cant be replaced, or whats difficult to replace are the machined/cast parts specific to the saw. If you break a trunnion, you are screwed. If your arbor is bent, you are screwed. If you lose the arbor nut, and that 5/8" arbor is some wacky thread pitch/count, then you are screwed. All these things can be remachined by a machinist, but you are talking about ordering a one off part to be custom made--$$$. Then again, the PM65 may share quite a few internal parts to his better pm66 brother, where parts are easier to find, i believe. Im more familiar with the unisaw, than i am with the vintage powermatics. If both tools run acceptably well right now then you can assume you will have a few more years of good service. I think it is good practice to replace the consumables like bearings/belts the second it hits your shop. 

Your example is pretty good with what you picked. One is some unknown make and model that is worth diddly squat. Another is from a well known manufacturer where im sure you could get a ton of help online with any problem you might run into. For example, if a guy posts something about an older unisaw, the first thing im going to tell him is "triple check the motor". The pre-2000s unisaw use a proprietary motor mount, which means you are stuck buying a leeson or baldor motor for $350-425 if its 3phase or busted. This can easily kill the deal. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

"Too used" is directly proportional to "Too expensive". Almost any decent old machine is worth heavy rehab if you buy cheap enough.

What he said. I actually saw a similar condition PM65 pop up in my market 2-3 weeks ago. The guy wanted $300, and i offered $150, i think. He didnt accept, and im sure he thought i was low-balling him. The fact is, the saw needs a new fence-$300. It needs a general clean up of belts and bearings--$50-75. And it needs a lot of time to disassemble the saw and put it back together--4-5 hours. You add it all up and im not going to screw around with something unless its rock bottom price. Now, you could make it work for $300, but i was looking to turn around and make a buck or two on the saw. If your all in cost was below $500 and 4-5 hours of labor for the saw, then i think its worth it. It is lighter duty than the PM66, but its still a fairly well designed saw that would perform well for you. Id certainly take that with a good fence over a 1990s-early 2000s contractor saw.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mike. said:

I would never buy anything that doesn't run.  But I am not a mechanic and don't like getting my hands dirty.  If I did, I'd have a muscle car in my garage and not a woodshop, because I actually like cars more than furniture.   But that is just me.  I'd do some paint and rust removal.   I'd be happy to replace normal wear items (blades, knives, belts, bandsaw tires).  Once you get into bearings, motors, any level of machining I would say no.  my time is just too valuable for that.  I wouldn't trust a Craig's Lister seller who says it "only needs X and it will run fine" because, unless you have a ton of experience, it is hard to trust those statements.  

That`s funny to hear. I`m coming from car background to woodworking. Cars can be incredibly frustrating. I`m finding woodworking (in beginner stages) a lot more enjoyable and less frustrating.

I`m finding that older, well used machines, if bought at the right price, can be a great investment. But prices for custom parts are lot less here than over there I think.

If You guys are interested here is the link for my thread on polish forums about restoring a 1980 table saw that was park outside for last 4 years (under a good tarp). It`s in polish but the pictures are externaly hosted so should be visible and tell the whole strory. The process is on hold atm due to weather.

http://forum.domidrewno.pl/pily-36/rema-dmma-35-'odswiezenie'-urzadzenia/

(hope this is ok to post)

That same model jointer showed up on our local craigslist a few days ago for $250.   Which isn't too bad.    I don't know much about machines, but these must be 20-30 years old?

Craigslist is hard to buy stuff off of.   I've installed a browser plugin that gives me alerts when new stuff shows up matching my queries as the good stuff seems to go within a day or two of posting and most of what you're seeing is the crap that doesn't sell.

So this is what it should look like in good condition:

00404_6ovPzvxBSkI_600x450.jpg

That same model jointer showed up on our local craigslist a few days ago for $250.   Which isn't too bad.    I don't know much about machines, but these must be 20-30 years old?

Craigslist is hard to buy stuff off of.   I've installed a browser plugin that gives me alerts when new stuff shows up matching my queries as the good stuff seems to go within a day or two of posting and most of what you're seeing is the crap that doesn't sell.

So this is what it should look like in good condition:

00404_6ovPzvxBSkI_600x450.jpg

What's the plugin called?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Minnesota Steve said:

Ahh, found it...  I couldn't remember before.

http://www.craigshunter.com/

It's a plugin for Chrome, and it works reasonably well I think.   I'm sure there are others out there as well.

Cool.  Thank you!  Gotta love Chrome!

Interestingly enough, I check two different C-List geographic locations, and there is one of these on each.  The one I linked to picture of is $175 (in Indiana), and this one is $250 (in Florida).

00V0V_2AZMv8YDhcm_600x450.jpg

I wouldn't bother with the harbor freight jointer.Even if it was free.

The tablesaw is worth looking at.

Working on woodworking machines is just part of having a Woodshop there's no escaping it.Matinence and adjusting and stuff breaking.

Esp plastic parts are always breaking.I doubt there will be any on that PM.

Aj

It's always a balance between elbow grease and pocket grease.   The more of one you need to use, the less of the other. 

If you have access to a machine shop where you can flatten warped steel, machine out new gizmos, have access to replacement motors, etc, then there is never too cheap.   But if you like to have it delivered and be in production that same day, then that "luxury" comes at a cost.   

I'm waxing philosophical here, but it's similar to pricing things for sale:  If it sold, it was too cheap, if it didn't sell, it was too expensive. 

On 1/9/2017 at 7:43 AM, Seth Clayton said:

How much life can you reasonably expect to breathe back into machines that look like these two?

Reasonably expect is somewhat person to person.  With some time and money,  they can easily be better than new.  It just depends on how much of each you want to give it. 

Here is a thread where I rehabbed an old nasty unisaw. That saw is now beast.