Dust Collection

rbs

I have a Jet dust collector in my shop and would like to do some research on how to make it work better.  I have drain tile for runs right now and the longest run is about 40' and that is to the table saw.  I am looking at using pvc and not steel.  Is there some sites with some good  info on them?  I searched here but never really came up with something specific.  There has been a bunch of shop vac posts lately.  Thanks for the help!

Edit:  I have a very small shop and a cyclone unit will not work in my shop

You want ducts with as smooth an interior as possible.  By design, drain tile is a no-go.  ASTM-2729 is lightweight and easy to work with.  I have been running it for years and made several (easy) configuration changes.

Forty feet is a long run for anything under 3HP or a lot of luck ;-)  When you say small shop I am assuming height limits, yes?

yes height wise I am a shade under 8'.  My run to my saw is 8' up 15' across, 8' down and 5' to the saw.  I guess 36' is closer.  I have the dust collector in a corner and it works well there, being out of the way.  My shop is 14'x28' and the corner it is in the bandsaw and the drill press surround it along with a bench.  So that is why I don't have a bunch of room for a cyclone.

On 1/9/2017 at 0:29 PM, rbs said:

yes height wise I am a shade under 8'. 

I am a shade under 8 feet in headroom also. I easily fit a grizzly G0440, 2 horsepower cyclone in the corner.  Wish I could've shoehorned in a 3 hp.  Rotating the blower 180° so that the filter and inlet are on the same side makes the footprint smaller as well.

90-percent-1.jpg

Not trying to sell you on a cyclone, just letting you know that an 8 foot ceiling is more than adequate for several versions.