We lost a good one

JosephThomas

33 minutes ago, Chet K said:

Visited that tree 14 years ago and remember standing there and wondering why it hadn't come down yet at that time considering the fact that they had removed over half of its structural base making the tunnel.

I never got to visit these ones, being a lifelong Midwesterner, I've only been out west a couple times to San Diego. How DO these trees survive? It defies everything I understand about how trees live and grow. 

56 minutes ago, Isaac Gaetz said:

I never got to visit these ones, being a lifelong Midwesterner, I've only been out west a couple times to San Diego. How DO these trees survive? It defies everything I understand about how trees live and grow. 

The living part of the tree isn't in the middle, that's basically how. They're less structurally sound, sure, but a good portion of the living part of the tree was still keeping the roots connected to the branches.

3 hours ago, treeslayer said:

thats too bad, I've always wanted to see them.

There are still a few over in the coastal redwoods, apparently, but I think they are on private land.

3 minutes ago, phinds said:

Well, at least a few redwoods sill have tunnels so maybe future generations are not out of luck. Yet.

Sorry phinds, If I am not mistaken, that was the last Sequoia or Redwood with a tunnel.  I could be wrong.

The article linked to said there are 3 privately held redwoods still in use. Did you think I was just making that up?

"However, there are still three coastal redwoods (taller and more slender than sequoias) with tunnels cut through them. They're all operated by private companies, the Forest Service says, and still allow cars to drive through — one appeared in a recent Geico ad. "

• Like 1

On 1/10/2017 at 10:28 AM, wdwerker said:

When I was in Redwoods National Park I saw a straight row of trees down the trail and got curious. I hiked over and found a huge tree had blown over and survived. It grew a row of branches straight up out of its side and each one was bigger than any normal tree at home. 

When I visited Oregon as a child with my grandparents we brought home a burl that was growing sprouts straight up bought at a souvenir shop.  It was cool but we didn't manage to keep it alive long.  I'd like to have another one now, I'm sure I could take better care of it. 

I'm going to try and go up to the "Trail of 100 Giants" this weekend with my girlfriend, its just up the highway from where I live.  Not sure if we will make it up that far though due to the snow this time of the year.  I'll try and remember to grab some pictures for you guys.