Extra Drums For Sander?

pridmore

I was going to pull the trigger on a Jet drum sander with the 15% off sale, but some cursory searching shows me that the opinions range from pretty happy to crap! So now I'm going with the Performax 19-38. My questions to those folks who own drum sanders:

- how do you deal with multiple grits?

- did you buy one or more extra drums to have multiple grits ready to go at all times (say, 80 & 150)?

- do you wrap/unwrap as needed? 

Thanks for the responses.

Andy

I have 100 on the front and 120 on the rear drum  

If I only had one drum I would just pick one of those two grits and go, regardless you will do some finish sanding so not a big deal in my opinion. 

Yeah. I want a double drum model but can only (half-)legitimize a single. I don't need either.

6 minutes ago, pridmore said:

Yeah. I want a double drum model but can only (half-)legitimize a single. I don't need either.

If I was buying today I would get the supermax single drum when I was in the market 10 years ago the cantilever designs did not get very good reviews so I went with the General International 24" double drum. Having said that I use it quite often.

- how do you deal with multiple grits?

I have grits from 60 to 400.  Most used is 60 and 80.

- did you buy one or more extra drums to have multiple grits ready to go at all times (say, 80 & 150)?

On the Supermax you can change paper in  . . . (I just went out and did it) . . . about 1 minute and 15 seconds without hurrying.  This includes releasing the paper at the left hand clip, rolling it into a nice little roll that fits into a rattle can top. 

19-38-stand(14).jpg

Putting the new grit on and making sure all is smooth and tight, walking back to the bench and hitting stop on the phone timer.

I don't think you could change a drum that fast.

- do you wrap/unwrap as needed? 

Yes as described above.

After hearing all the horror stories about getting the abrasive on a drum, aligning a drum and so forth, it took me quite a bit of research to buy a drum sander.  The Supermax paper change is child's play.  The drum alignment is simple and stays put.  The tables are easy to align and stay put. 

About the only thing I could wish for is that the spring-loaded clip on the right were on the left.  It is easy to reach with your middle finger but, those with big mitts could struggle a bit.  I am a big DRO fan (tablesaw, router, planer) but, skipped it on the sander.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the 19-38 and love it.  Waaaaay more than the 16-32 I had for 15 years.  After a bit of experimentation I find the 120 grit performs the best.  Sometimes I go up to 18 but never finer. Changing paper is a breeze, I don't recommend adding extra drums for different grits too much trouble to change and expensive.