Converting Hand Tool Project to Machine

Jim Harvey

Our local woodworkers club makes toys every year to give away to disadvantaged families, thousands of toys over the years. But mostly I see boy toys, things with wheels. Boxes though, appeal to both boys and girls. There was an episode of "The Woodwright's Shop" this last season on making small sliding lid boxes. That started me thinking, if I followed Roy's jig ideas with a table saw, how fast could I produce boxes? I didn't use much of Roy's process but with the jigs I made, I can crank out a dozen a day and they look pretty good.

https://wb8nbs.wordpress.com/2016/12/22/sliding-lid-pencil-boxes/

0820.jpg

• Like 2

I believe this mostly comes from an abundance of caution based upon CPSC ASTM F 963-11 Section 4.3.5.1 - Surface Coating Materials – Soluble Test for Metals (effective date 06/10/2013)

Third-party testing is required to support a certification of compliance to the rules shown below for children’s products that are manufactured after the third-party testing effective dates listed with each rule. CPSC-accepted testing laboratories have been accepted as accredited to test products to one or more of these children’s product safety rules, as identified in the accreditation scope shown in the detail display for each listed laboratory. A manufacturer of a children's product that must comply with one or more of these rules must support its certification of compliance with test results from one of these laboratories.

Basically, you are supposed to get a 3rd party lab to test the material to certify it is free of lead and other heavy metals and, rather than worrying about ignoring it, people will just say screw it to the finish

23 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

I know California frowns on Watco and it's brethren .

Steve, California frowns on everything.  And to make it even stupider the whole state can't agree.  I can buy items and finishes here in Northern California that you can't get in Southern California. Duh!

19 minutes ago, Chet K said:

Steve, California frowns on everything.  And to make it even stupider the whole state can't agree.  I can buy items and finishes here in Northern California that you can't get in Southern California. Duh!

The worst is that you can't even keep that BS to yourselves, I was looking at a coworkers wooden santa picture frame, here in Maryland, and it had a friggen CARB compliant sticker on the back! :P 

Whoops, sorry for the threadjack Jim!

Those boxes turned out great, my guild does the same but I haven't participated yet, maybe I will do something like this for this year.

K Cooper - The spacer was a key item in speeding up the cut process

Chet K - I made 3 prototypes figuring out how, 14 in the next batch from poplar and pine out of the Menards cutoff bin, 8 slightly smaller in cherry, another batch in progress now in cherry. I gave the 3 protos and one of the cherrys to my family for Christmas last weekend. I'm putting Watco on three of the cherry just to see what they look like and no Im not sending any to California.