Alternative to French cleats

W. Stony

Thanks drzaius and gee-dub. What attracted me was that on the web site it gives some impressive load test results and they have those red marker tools like dowel markers for setting out. Stops sideways movement too.

Gee-dub, I've used a similar one to the metal one you shared but they had 4 screws on each plate and were really difficult to get to line up when working blind. Found Buttonfix on YouTube:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=idWObs9FQVI

Not an expert but French cleats could be attached anywhere there is a wall stud.  The number of screws would be determined by the length of the part attached to the wall.  Those gizmos would have to be attached to a wall stud and then you would have the challenge of trying to line them up.  I have a wall clock that has a small triangular loop.  It takes several tries to hit the nail.

• Like 1

I invented these and licensed them to Fastcap to be a better alternative to french cleats.  I worked in the sign industry for many years and came up with this idea out of of frustration with how long it takes to properly map out and install french cleats.  These serve the same purpose as far as being a concealed/strong/removable way to attach panels, frames, etc,  but make the process much easier, particularly for large production runs.  To  use them you  just drill a couple pocket holes near the top of your object, press in the pocket pegs, peel off the liner and press your object onto the wall!  you can then remove the object, add some screws, and pop it back on to the pegs.  For large production runs of art panels or something like that, a table based pocket hole machine makes this process extremely easy compared to making/adding french cleats to each panel.  Not to mention that it is much much easier to install.

Check them out!

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

I need strength and 5lbs per peg is no where near as strong as the Buttonfix's test results where it breaks at an incredible 440lbs so I guess its safe at say 100lbs if I use a good wall fixing. I tried them and they work brilliantly with a nice click as they go home. No sideways movement either.