W. Stony

Alternative to French cleats

10 posts in this topic

Before I commit, has anyone tried these alternatives to French cleats? Eco Supply stock them. Screenshot attached.

Screenshot 2017-01-10 16.57.11.jpg

Not used those, but I don't think they would be nearly as easy to use as french cleats. With a french cleat you can just hang the cabinet without having to aim for the little bracket. It would also be stronger.

This could save you if you forget to leave room at the rear of a cabinet for a french cleat; very low profile.  The alignment would be a lot more fussy so I wouldn't want to do a lot of them.  For the occasional wall cabinet they would be fine.  I have used these before as well.

Thanks drzaius and gee-dub. What attracted me was that on the web site it gives some impressive load test results and they have those red marker tools like dowel markers for setting out. Stops sideways movement too.

Gee-dub, I've used a similar one to the metal one you shared but they had 4 screws on each plate and were really difficult to get to line up when working blind. Found Buttonfix on YouTube:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=idWObs9FQVI

Not an expert but French cleats could be attached anywhere there is a wall stud.  The number of screws would be determined by the length of the part attached to the wall.  Those gizmos would have to be attached to a wall stud and then you would have the challenge of trying to line them up.  I have a wall clock that has a small triangular loop.  It takes several tries to hit the nail.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, AcworthWW said:

I have used these to hang several projects. They are low profile and give you some wiggle room during installation.  http://www.rockler.com/2-z-clips

Now those make sense...essentially a low profile french cleat.  I like it...

I invented these and licensed them to Fastcap to be a better alternative to french cleats.  I worked in the sign industry for many years and came up with this idea out of of frustration with how long it takes to properly map out and install french cleats.  These serve the same purpose as far as being a concealed/strong/removable way to attach panels, frames, etc,  but make the process much easier, particularly for large production runs.  To  use them you  just drill a couple pocket holes near the top of your object, press in the pocket pegs, peel off the liner and press your object onto the wall!  you can then remove the object, add some screws, and pop it back on to the pegs.  For large production runs of art panels or something like that, a table based pocket hole machine makes this process extremely easy compared to making/adding french cleats to each panel.  Not to mention that it is much much easier to install.

Check them out!

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

18 minutes ago, Court said:

Check them out!

Really cool idea.