Gränsfors Bruk Axes

Eric.

I ordered one of their splitting axes for my dad for his upcoming birthday, should be here monday.  I'm really excited to check it out.  I really want one of their small forest axes or hunters axes for similar uses as Juskimo.  I want a small axe for bushcraft/ backpacking use. 

On 1/13/2017 at 4:18 PM, xxdabroxx said:

I ordered one of their splitting axes for my dad for his upcoming birthday, should be here monday.  I'm really excited to check it out.  I really want one of their small forest axes or hunters axes for similar uses as Juskimo.  I want a small axe for bushcraft/ backpacking use. 

I have the Gransfors Scandinavian Forest Axe (assuming that's the one @Juskimo has) and the large splitting axe.  I also have a Wetterlings large hunter's axe...Wetterlings as a company and product line is similar to Gransfors, ever so slightly cheaper but basically the same quality.

Of the two forest axes I own, I think the Wetterlings would be a better choice for backpacking simply because of the weight factor.  I only take axes when I'm doing a short hike or no hike at all.  On backpacking trips I just take a knife that can be used with a baton, and a Silky saw.  Very light and I never really expect to have huge rip-roaring fires on a backpack trip.  I bring the axes when we're gonna have more camp time than hiking time.

I believe Gransfors has a model similar to the Wetterlings I own.  If you do longer hikes I'd look at smaller axes...possibly even a hatchet or tomahawk.  For long camp time or super cold conditions the bigger axes are great.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Eric. said:

I have the Gransfors Scandinavian Forest Axe (assuming that's the one @Juskimo has) and the large splitting axe.  I also have a Wetterlings large hunter's axe...Wetterlings as a company and product line is similar to Gransfors, ever so slightly cheaper but basically the same quality.

Of the two forest axes I own, I think the Wetterlings would be a better choice for backpacking simply because of the weight factor.  I only take axes when I'm doing a short hike or no hike at all.  On backpacking trips I just take a knife that can be used with a baton, and a Silky saw.  Very light and I never really expect to have huge rip-roaring fires on a backpack trip.  I bring the axes when we're gonna have more camp time than hiking time.

I believe Gransfors has a model similar to the Wetterlings I own.  If you do longer hikes I'd look at smaller axes...possibly even a hatchet or tomahawk.  For long camp time or super cold conditions the bigger axes are great.

How do you like your Silky saw?  I've been thinking of picking one up as a saw seems a lot quicker and lighter for backpacking trips.  (all we have around here are softwoods anyways and fallen limbs and trees a plenty)

I was thinking about the small forest axe or the hunters axe for short backpacking trips.  My pack weight is fairly low so I think I could take a small axe without being too heavy.  But a saw would probably be more useful. 

I've got a cold steel hawk but I find it better for throwing (entertainment) than much else.  Not bad for limbing branches but generally not enough heft in my opinion for much chopping.  Maybe we need to start an axes and hawks thread to show off all our toys.

Also, do you like your splitting axe?  My dad mostly burns oak and it will be used to split that (generally not from rounds as we usually rent a hydraulic splitter when cutting).

The Silky saws are great.  I carry a 210 for backpacking and I also have a Bigboy for certain aspects of bushcraft (it's huge).  They're very nice saws but some people claim they have trouble with bending the blades because they're on the thin side.  I don't know if these people are just clumsy or don't realize they cut on the pull or what...because I've never had any issues.

A budget saw that everyone raves about is the Bahco Laplander:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001IX7OW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When Amazon has them in stock they're around $20.

The splitting axe is awesome.  I've split oak with it and it does the job well.

• Like 2