Need assisted lifting ideas

aknotsdeath

a49053923c66d99307d0ea76688a433a.jpg

So we have these indoor planter boxes in the house we just bought. I love the look with the lids on so we want to keep it. However we want to use the inside to store Legos for the kids. What we are trying to think of now is easy way for the kids to lift it up so they can get in. I was thinking gas struts but figured I would see if anyone has a better idea then me. And for the gas struts what lbs would I need? Just use the weight of the lid as reference?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Torsion hinges are mainly anti slam to prevent mashed fingers. With an "L" shaped top and the top used as a countertop . I would either lift the top vertically with some ropes,  pullies and counterweights or cut some openings in the sides for access or drawers .  I don't see a elegant or practical solution.

• Like 1

Woodcraft has several types of hinges available.  Try their website.  Our kids had two toy boxes when they were little.  Both had air holes cut in the back in case a kid got stuck in them.  You might consider that.

The boxes are big enough so I can do lego storage on top and a kitty tunnel under it. So air won't be a problem. With two boys I going to make sure they can get out lol.

Marc had a good idea... just a few pulleys, some line, and maybe a hole in your house so you can connect it to your truck...

Okay a more useful idea... What about gas shocks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I was thinking about those. I will have to figure out the correct poundage that I need. I don't want the kids to have to jump on the top to close it. I also don't want it falling on its own lol.

• 4 weeks later...

Well looks like no matter the plans life changes then. Ended up having to change out minds on this project. Instead we had to make it a litter area for the cats.

Well looks like no matter the plans life changes then. Ended up having to change out minds on this project. Instead we had to make it a litter area for the cats.

6367c14a15b444c51fb996048358841b.jpge844269a927e4ac4f7d0e3769d73e09a.jpg7e89feb2a86a4d2be31b09f57f6acefe.jpg

There is still the other one so we will see. Works great and you don't smell them. As long as they are scooped daily of course. And the cats love it.

Hell, that's more privacy than I get in my bathroom.

Hey, is that one of those ryobi one+ caulk guns?  I always thought those were kinda overkill, but then I realized there may be people running them all day long and it sure would make life easy.  Is it worth it?    And this is also coming from a guy who just bought their cordless Hot Glue Gun.  That thing is magical. 

• Like 1

Hell, that's more privacy than I get in my bathroom.

Hey, is that one of those ryobi one+ caulk guns?  I always thought those were kinda overkill, but then I realized there may be people running them all day long and it sure would make life easy.  Is it worth it?    And this is also coming from a guy who just bought their cordless Hot Glue Gun.  That thing is magical. 

c0b164bf775387a0ce9c74814fba837b.jpg

I guess I should of added the final picture. The thing is amazing once you learn how to use it. I have wrist and hand issues and when I bought my house nothing was sealed. I will seal it up this spring but there is no way I can do all the windows, doors and plumbing fixtures. The toilets were not even sealed. And yes the cats love it.

If you're thinking of doing this with the other planter box, I would use Coffee Table Lift hinges. This particular style is assisted opening, and don't have a crossbar which would reduce internal access.

https://www.amazon.com/ETGtek-Mechanism-Hardware-Fitting-Furniture/dp/B01CDR98IW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1487112248&sr=8-2&keywords=lift+top+coffee+table+hardware51tP+YThtrL._SL1024_.jpg

• Like 1

If you're thinking of doing this with the other planter box, I would use Coffee Table Lift hinges. This particular style is assisted opening, and don't have a crossbar which would reduce internal access.

https://www.amazon.com/ETGtek-Mechanism-Hardware-Fitting-Furniture/dp/B01CDR98IW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1487112248&sr=8-2&keywords=lift+top+coffee+table+hardware51tP+YThtrL._SL1024_.jpg

That would be perfect. Would have to move the wife's computer some but would work great. Thanks! I guess they only really need one? Lol