Cedar Planking

aknotsdeath

fa2aa3292b0f8f38d83ae492380ffe3c.jpg07087645b4d9ecc9cf6ada5aaa513e8c.jpgfa8039373217b9c6beffb97ca9207211.jpge3ef888e44e0633aa5ea4f1ddcdf3d45.jpg

So I have this cedar planking all through out my house. House was built in 77. I am wanting to convert the big giant room into a cat room with lots of shelves and such for them to play. I would absolutely love to be able to match the Cedar I already have. I know it won't be exact. But I have no clue as to what kind it is and where would be a good place to look for it at online? I can't travel far or much due to medical issues so online is my best bet. I did a quick mock up with some red cedar planking I found at HD

f1409993cc2da826bb35554a8db169c5.jpg

Big 15 lb fluffy cat for size reference.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

The original looks like western red cedar. That is a classic 70's style design feature.  Yours looks like the "clear heart" or " A clear " grades of tongue and groove siding.

http://www.realcedar.com/siding/profiles/tongue-groove/

That's just the first site I found pictures like your cedar. I have no experience ordering from them.

The wood you used on your cat shelf is eastern red cedar, also known as aromatic cedar. That's the stuff used on cedar chests. It comes from a tree in the juniper family.

And welcome to the Forum !

That planking looks more like Western Red cedar, and the mockup looks like Eastern Red. The Eastern stuff is actually from the juniper family, and has a markedly different appearance. For one thing, it is almost impossible to find it as clear and knot-free as the stuff on your walls.

In my local experience, the cedar fence pickets from the local home center's garden supply area are much less knotty than the cedar boards sold inside the store. They are also a bit thinner, rough on one side, and not as dry. They work well for outdoor projects, but may be problematic for yours.

• Like 1

That planking looks more like Western Red cedar, and the mockup looks like Eastern Red. The Eastern stuff is actually from the juniper family, and has a markedly different appearance. For one thing, it is almost impossible to find it as clear and knot-free as the stuff on your walls.

In my local experience, the cedar fence pickets from the local home center's garden supply area are much less knotty than the cedar boards sold inside the store. They are also a bit thinner, rough on one side, and not as dry. They work well for outdoor projects, but may be problematic for yours.

Western Red Cedar is a lot closer then I was so thank you. I will see if I can Google from there.

I would think that the western red cedar would be pretty easy to source in Washington.  Like finding redwood here in California.

Yep it seems fairly easy to get it new. I would prefer getting reclaimed so it has some weathering and aging just like the planking in the house. However new is better then nothing :)

Also, keep in mind that Western red is often used in outdoor projects (house siding for example) but Eastern red will fade very badly in sunlight so if you DO use Eastern red in high-UV areas, don't expect it to keep its color even in it has a finish on it.

Also, keep in mind that Western red is often used in outdoor projects (house siding for example) but Eastern red will fade very badly in sunlight so if you DO use Eastern red in high-UV areas, don't expect it to keep its color even in it has a finish on it.

That is good to know. I think we settled on the western. The Eastern one I had in the picture was just to get close and see what we thought in general.

Ok so now that we got that all figured out,pardon my thread jacking. What the heck is a cat room?

Well we have 4 cats. So the first picture is a giant open room (not that giant) and we will be doing shelves and walkways along the walls. Probably a rope bridge of sorts for them as well. Few beds things like that. Just an awesome place for our cats. Mostly something for me to do in my really really early retirement.

Our house is sided with rough sawn board and batten, probably cedar, and will occasionally catch our two cats using it as a scratching post lol.

They do the same with the 2x4's that serve as our newel posts at the bottom of the stairs to the basement. I will be wrapping them in sisal rope when I get some time but other than that, I love em both, sounds like a cool project and you'll have to keep us updated.

• Like 1

Our house is sided with rough sawn board and batten, probably cedar, and will occasionally catch our two cats using it as a scratching post lol.

They do the same with the 2x4's that serve as our newel posts at the bottom of the stairs to the basement. I will be wrapping them in sisal rope when I get some time but other than that, I love em both, sounds like a cool project and you'll have to keep us updated.

I plan on having a post that follows along. Just to cold in the garage to start much. And no table saw. And I have already begun with the sisal rope. They love it so far. If you look at the picture you can see it on the post. I will continue it up and have a platform for the cats to climb on.

8 minutes ago, aknotsdeath said:

I plan on having a post that follows along. Just to cold in the garage to start much. And no table saw. And I have already begun with the sisal rope. They love it so far. If you look at the picture you can see it on the post. I will continue it up and have a platform for the cats to climb on.

What are you using to attach? My original thought was staples as they are pretty rough on the other sisal stuff we have but I don't know if that would catch the claws too much. 

• Like 1

What are you using to attach? My original thought was staples as they are pretty rough on the other sisal stuff we have but I don't know if that would catch the claws too much. 

Actually I used nothing. I used a hot glue gun to join two ropes together. It's tricky to start but if you just wrap it while keeping it super tight it will stay together. You have to fix it every once in a while. Or you could hot glue it to the wood. This being a really nice post I wasn't going to do that. I might make another one out of a regular 4x4 and that one I will glue so I don't have to fix it. And the top is only coming undone because I just left it loose at the top. I plan on doing videos as well at some point. They love the rope. A lot. Gets used more then anything else in the house. Gets used more then the giant cat tree they have. I didn't build it. But still an awesome tree.

15be008591ba2f5b7ac473d5eeaa6bfc.jpg

If you're looking for a Cedar supplier, Mill Outlet in Tacoma is hard to beat. I have a friend who wrapped his recording studio in their Alaskan Yellow, and they're advertising WRC stocks right now. Might be a bit tricky to get since your mobility is reduced, but thought I'd send the link along.

I made a scratching post for my cats out of a 4x4 and used construction adhesive at the corners to keep the Sissal rope on. Not great for retrofitting a stair post, but no repairs going on three years now.

• Like 1

If you're looking for a Cedar supplier, Mill Outlet in Tacoma is hard to beat. I have a friend who wrapped his recording studio in their Alaskan Yellow, and they're advertising WRC stocks right now. Might be a bit tricky to get since your mobility is reduced, but thought I'd send the link along.

I made a scratching post for my cats out of a 4x4 and used construction adhesive at the corners to keep the Sissal rope on. Not great for retrofitting a stair post, but no repairs going on three years now.

I am really looking for reclaimed. A lot of the mid to late 70s houses here had this type of Cedar planks inside. I would love to find a place that has reclaimed stuff. So it semi matches the age of the wood in my house. I have a month or 2 before it will be warm enough for me to work. So I am in no rush. Just gathering information for now.

I will have to check out that mill next time I am in Tacoma though and see what they have.