Wood/Metal BandSaw Sell or Repair.

vintagewood1960

I purchased a Dayton 15" Wood/Metal BandSaw for 200.00 off Craigslist.  Model 6y002E 

I thought it sounded a little loud when I checked it out and after several months of use the gearbox did give out.

The original seller "Grainger" says I can get the replacement parts for 350.00 to rebuild the gearbox.

It's a nice heavy duty saw that I will most likely only use for woodworking so my question is... 

How desirable is a vertical wood/ METAL saw of this type to the maker community that I'll be able to sell it later and recoup my investment?

I see saws in better condition on Craigslist all the time for 600.00 ish that would suit my needs so should I just let this one go?

The original asking price on this saw was $1800.00

If you are only using the bandsaw for wood, you don't need the gearbox (gearbox is used to change the speed for cutting different material).

Most wood bandsaw have a direct drive with a pulley on the drive shaft of the bottom bandsaw wheel. Depending on how adventurous you are it should be fairly straight forward to convert it to direct drive and get the right size pulleys for it to cut wood

I have the Delta/Rockwell 14" metal/ wood bandsaw. Only used the gearbox / lower speeds about 5 times in 20 + years. The castings were much heavier than the standard wood bandsaw at the time it was built.  It's been a great saw for me.   But I don't know much about Dayton saws. Grainger used to have a pretty good reputation but I haven't been impressed in recent years.