Booster Step

Isaac

Nice work.  I like it.

I got a dovetail saw (22 tpi) and a 3" jewelers saw from Santa-wife and have been practicing hand cutting dovetails as well but still need a lot more practice to get the saw to go where I want it.  I have a japanese (pull) saw that I was getting pretty good with but the kerf is so small that I could not follow -up with the jewelers saw across the bottom.  The new dovetail saw (push) is coarser and harder to get it just where I want it.  A few hundred more practice cuts needed.

Have fun.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ronn W said:

Nice work.  I like it.

I got a dovetail saw (22 tpi) and a 3" jewelers saw from Santa-wife and have been practicing hand cutting dovetails as well but still need a lot more practice to get the saw to go where I want it.  I have a japanese (pull) saw that I was getting pretty good with but the kerf is so small that I could not follow -up with the jewelers saw across the bottom.  The new dovetail saw (push) is coarser and harder to get it just where I want it.  A few hundred more practice cuts needed.

Have fun.

I'm still going back and forth on my exact method. In this case I used a bit of hand sawing and a bit of band sawing to hog out the guts and then chisels to bring the faces smooth and parallel. That seems like a good balance, at least for these thicker ones in a hard wood like hickory.

25 minutes ago, Pwk5017 said:

Hand cut dovetails in what looks like 6/4 hickory? You must wear a hairshirt on the weekends and flog yourself too! I sort of refuse to work with hickory after a few experiences with it. Project looks good.

8/4 actually. It was tough stuff to handcut with a saw, but the chisel actually cut it pretty well for the clean-up. One thing I learned about these big dovetails is it is nice having such a large surface to reference the chisel off of. it kind of made it easier to clean things up.  

• 2 weeks later...