Jointer help

thunder86

Having problems getting a nice flat surface coming out on the face.  I believe I have a proper setup as the width side seems to come out ok.  I'm new to a jointer and it's the length side so I know it's me doing it and not the machine.  OK so where do I apply the pressure at on the wood?  My indeed table is about 1/16 of an inch lower than the outfeed.  When I put all the pressure on the outfeed it cuts the front of the board but never touches the rest 3/4 of the board.  When I put the pressure on the back of the board it cuts it but it's all the place.  I'm getting a huge wedge long ways.  I'm lost on where to apply the pressure.  Thank you.

This is what I get when I apply pressure on the outfeed table.  It causes me to simply make a huge wedge.  If the indeed is lower than the outfeed table how can the whole board get run threw the cutters?  It just seems once the front end passes it tilts it up and the rest of the board will always no matter what.

1484693321994.jpg

Sorry I should have been more clear.The infeed table always need to be lower.

Good pic C Shaffer.

But sometimes the out feed table needs to be a tiny bit lower then the cutting circle of the knives.Or the wood will run into the tables lip and lift up up and away.

If it's too low then you get a cut on the end of the board called snipe.

Hope this helps.

Aj

• Like 1

Double check that the infeed and outfeed tables are in the same plane.  Raise infeed table to the same height as the outfeed table and lay a straight edge across both.  It almost sounds like either the outfeed table or infeed table is sloping away form your blades.  That can be absolutely maddening.