Undersized replacement motor for Lathe

BonPacific

Hey folks. So I've got the opportunity to buy a used Jet 1014 lathe. They get good reviews from what i can tell. The lathe itself is $50... the catch is that it doesn't have a motor. Buying a new motor from Jet is gonna cost $170, just out of what I'd like to invest in something I'm not 100% sure is working (the lathe). Or in turning, as I'm not sure if I'll get into it.

Now, I was glancing around my shop, and noticed the 1/3 HP motor on my old 4" jointer which I don't use. Mounting the old motor shouldn't be an issue, but I'm wondering if 1/3HP (6.5Amps) is even going to work, or if I'm going to hate this thing and give up turning.

Any thoughts out there on the lower HP? Or perhaps good sources of cheap AC motors? 

9 minutes ago, CandorLush said:

First thing that popped up on my seattle craigslist search for "1/2 hp motor" was a 1/2hp baldor for $60

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/tls/5935176807.html

Will you look at that... Not sure how I missed it.

Edit: Oh, that's why. This is rated at 3450RPM. I need a motor at 1750RPM.

1 minute ago, CandorLush said:

(it is 3450rpm but a few pulleys and a diy jack shaft and you are set)
I found what I assume is the ad for the lathe too and it looks like it still has the old motor, maybe you can troubleshoot it? 

I don't trust my accuracy to add another set of pulleys and shaft to this. Hmm, maybe I could just replace the pulley stack it already uses for the variable RPM settings. I'd have to drop the diameters by half right? To match the original RPM range?

Hmm, at that point it would probably be easier to buy a Variable Speed conversion kit.

Got the frankenlathe rigged up, and it works. Does have some issues though. The original motor had a 14mm shaft, while my old replacement is 1/2". I've got a bushing on order for that. Even with a little wobble in the pulley, it spins wood fine. 

I'll need to build the whole thing a platform, as the motor needs to be lower than the lathe itself. Also need some sort of belt tension relief system for changing speeds.IMG_20170117_222625.jpg