router base plate question

dflan004

so i have a porter cable plunge router 8900 model.    i'm making a dresser and need to cut a small rabbit in the back to receive the back board. my problem is the the rabbiting bit that i have doesn't fit through the hole on the base plate.  i havent been able to find a base plate with a different size hole.  am i missing something?   do i need to make a new plate or is there something out there that i just havent been able to find yet?

15 hours ago, Barron said:

While you can buy bases with wider openings, it's pretty easy to make a new one. Just use the existing base as a template for the screw holes. Clear plastic sold in the glass section of the BORG works well.

Sorry, Barron,  what does BORG stand for?

You don't need anything special like Plexiglas which would work great but, if you have a chunk of hard board, 1/4" plywood just about anything. I've made many special bases for different routing situations

longworth trammel test cut 002.JPGHere is a circle cutting jig made out of some scrape 1/4" luan  ply I had kicking around I'll hang on to it until it's worn out or the adjustment holes won't work for because it has become a large hunk of swiss cheese with a million different holes. My point being every situation doesn't warrant a trip to town for a special material for a router base, a jig, a fixture if you look in the scrap pile you can figure a no cost no trip to the store solution.

• Like 1