Motor - ideas?

prov163

I have used small motors on specialty tools that are specific to my work (travel dulcimer building).

Two things that come to mind are a horizontal drilling station for quickly locating and drilling zither pin holes in the end blocks of my instruments and a fret slot sawing station.  The fret saw station is an old 1940's table saw with a 6" x 0.023" kerf blade.  Since the slots are only 0.023" wide by 0.070" deep it requires very little power.

Those examples are unlikely to be needed in most shops, but they are likely to be other small specialized tasks that may be served with some specialty station that can use a small motor.

Lots of good, and a few funny, answers.  Shaney I have a 2 hp electric toothbrush. Takes less than 20 seconds to brush now. Time is money. 

I like the idea of a slow speed grinder. If it won't work for that, I'll take Highlander's advice. Wonder how the wife will feel about buying a 25 footer to go with it :)  

Who do you guys get your slow speed grinding wheels from?

• Like 1