Tom Silva helps to set up a garage workshop

TerryMcK

I just saw this on Ask This Old House where Tom goes off to Chicago to help set up a small workshop in a one car garage. Some good ideas in this episode if you have a small space. It also looks as though the episode may have had a connection (sponsor maybe?) to Bosch blue. I noticed the glide saw with its fancy pivot mechanism and the saw is becoming very popular due to its very small footprint.

• Like 1

Makes me want to move back into the city.  Seriously.  I'd give up my shop to get out of the suburbs and back into the city. 

She is living in a typical Chicago two or three flat.  One building, with one apartment taking up each floor. The bay window and exposed brick are very common in pre-WW2 chicago buildings.  I lived in similar places.

It is nice that she has a garage.  It is not that common to have a garage in the city, especially with multi dwelling units like that.  If she rents, often times the landlord will use the entire garage for themselves.  If the building has been converted to condos (where each owner owns their floor), often times the entire garage will be owned by one person, whoever the high bidder was when the building was converted from a rental to a condo.

Many of the garages were also converted to rental apartments.  Generally speaking, it is not legal to do so anymore, but plenty are grandfathered in. 

The people don't both me in big cities.  It is like they are there but not there -  the funny thing is the larger the city, the more anonymous you become.  When I lived in NYC I didn't know any of my neighbors by name.  When I lived in downtown Chicago I knew maybe one person on the floor of my condo building.  In the suburbs everyone knows way too much about me and my personal life.  There is one person in every subdivision whose full time hobby is spying on the neighbors and spreading gossip.  Drives me insane.   

58 minutes ago, CandorLush said:

I would totally move into a city. If they took out all of the *shudder* other people

My brother lives in Baltimore with his wife and they can't imagine living anywhere else, just as much as I can't imagine living there, lol, so I totally get the draw of the city just from the conversations we have about it. Certainly don't begrudge anyone who likes it, I just enjoy looking at the way other people find their own peace in different environments.

6 hours ago, Mike. said:

The people don't both me in big cities.  It is like they are there but not there -  the funny thing is the larger the city, the more anonymous you become.  When I lived in NYC I didn't know any of my neighbors by name.  When I lived in downtown Chicago I knew maybe one person on the floor of my condo building.  In the suburbs everyone knows way too much about me and my personal life.  There is one person in every subdivision whose full time hobby is spying on the neighbors and spreading gossip.  Drives me insane.   

im about an hour outside Toronto, and I could never live in the city - in fact I avoid it.  Just too much of everything rammed into a small space: buildings,people, cars, advertising,etc.

I am not a hermit, and live in a well populated subdivision.  I know all of my neighbors, and i like it that way.  My back neighbors are great friends now, and when I built the fence, I framed in an opening for the kids to play in both yards.  

Having good neighbors is great!  Having crappy neighbors, well that would be a different story!

• Like 1

That looks like a good starter shop for that small of a space.

On 1/18/2017 at 9:59 AM, Mike. said:

Makes me want to move back into the city.  Seriously.  I'd give up my shop to get out of the suburbs and back into the city.

I've been in every major city in the US; many of them several times. I've been in Chicago hundreds of times, unfortunately. Having to live there would be a living hell for me. The beginning of that video made my blood pressure jump a couple points just thinking about the traffic and people you have to deal with.