Simple twin beds

Denette

I'm making a topic here in Project Showcase, but I've journaled the whole thing in Project Journals here:

I'd love some constructive criticism. This project, while my design and construction, isn't terribly dear to my heart. It's not for me, it's design doesn't really reflect my taste, and honestly I don't feel like it's the best work I've ever done. It's been a huge learning experience for me, and was a project of many firsts. First time to do face trim with biscuit joinery, first time using an air nailer, first time building standalone cabinets (which is what the bed base basically is), first time building with a painted finish in mind. I will post a few pictures here once I get out into the shop, but the build thread has been very detailed. Any constructive criticism is very welcome!!!

ab815664a6ddaa923cd91231c13737a7.jpgd8ffc65e1c383fab7b6c4bd57cf7bb11.jpg9b007d5e6351528eb94419373140a457.jpg

First of all, great job! That's a lot of 'firsts' in one project.

I can't offer much advice on the application of paint (I saw your struggle in the journal). However, one piece of advise I would offer for future painted projects; Joints that are intended to fit flush must be dead perfect, or the joint line will absolutely telegraph through the paint. Honestly, automotive body filler is probably better than 'wood filler' for use under paint. An easier way to avoid the issue is to design the joints to have 'shadow lines', better known as disguised gaps!

• Like 1