Pair of bookcases

JosephThomas

8 minutes ago, mat60 said:

Very nice work. I see you have a fixed shelf in the center.  Great move there.  How wide are they and what did you use for the backs?

Yep, I fixed the middle shelf for extra strength against racking.  Tried and true, simple design.  I'm guessing it would be easy to make one without if the parts were beefier, and/or you have a thicker stock for the back set in grooves, and/or face frames...but I didn't see how I could make it half decent without a fixed shelf in the middle, unless I complicated the build.

The back is just 1/4" maple ply, set in a rabbet, from the home center near his house ...too big to transport in my car with the family and all our luggage/presents for Christmas...I was pushing it as is :) I had to let the home center cut it for me and pray they knew how to measure...it turned out ok.

The dimensions are:  ~2 feet wide x ~6 feet tall x ~ 1 foot deep. Roughly :) I had exactly one and a half sheets of ply to do this, and I used  ~99% of it.  I really just had a small pile of tiny strips leftover from where I cut clean edges, I needed every bit of it to get it done, glad it worked out.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Turned out great! How'd you like using the domino?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

It was pretty slow at first, just getting the hang of it and having confidence took a little time. Had no problems in the end though, and I'm sure I'll get faster with it the more I use it.

• Like 1

Handling sheetgoods with a bad back sounds like all kinds of no fun at all! They came out great though nice work.

I had the same experience at first with the domino. Its a precise machine that requires equal precision from the user. After using it on several projects now ive gotten the hang of it and you will too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

• Like 1