dewalt 735 planer problem

treeslayer

running some boards thru the 735 this morning all going well, went to turn it back on and nothing, no hum just dead, checked for power, its got power to the machine, circuit does not appear to be tripped, not pushed out but feels loose. i am an electrical idiot but the neighbor checked the switch and i think its ok, could the circuit breaker on the machine go bad? any suggestions would help, thanks guys.

Dave, I've never had that problem, but I'd bet the on board circuit breaker needs replacing.  I'm not suggesting that you do this, but if it were an emergency, you could pull the breaker, and bypass it.  Do you have a DeWalt  service center within 50 miles of you? Maybe Dubuque? Look them up on the computer, often they'll assist you over the phone, and tell you what you need.   

Verify you have power... plug something else into that outlet and see if it goes.   I have a GFCI outlet that frequently is tripped and is annoying.

I'd check the power switch.

And apparently there is a microswitch to ensure the cover is in place before it'll turn on...

http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/7wrlx-dewalt-735-13-planer-stopped-middle-cut-will.html

Ensuring the cover is on right such that the microswitch is tripped is first step.   Steps after that involve multimeters.

19 minutes ago, RichardA said:

Dave, I've never had that problem, but I'd bet the on board circuit breaker needs replacing

thats what i was thinking too Rick, i'll start there and see what happens

12 minutes ago, Minnesota Steve said:

And apparently there is a microswitch to ensure the cover is in place before it'll turn on...

thanks Steve, the cover is on properly and the switch seems to be ok, i'll leave that to step #2

the front brush, near the dust collection hood came out easy, the rear one behind the vent on the rear of the machine was stuck in there. they are held in with a small clip and removed it with a needle nose pliers, blew it out with the air compressor cleaned the armature and brushes with alcohol on a swab and soft cloth, reinstalled and walla! it worked