Router Collets universal?

dflan004

Collets vary quite a bit.  Here's a DeWalt next to a more massive Milwaukee.

collet-compare-1.jpg

The Mil and the larger PC share the same wrench size but, internal threads, etc. I do not know about.  Should be easy enough to tell if the collect fits or not.  If there is any question in your mind . . . it doesn't fit.

• Like 2

Some do, but generally there are very few that will fit multiple routers and brands, but I needed a 1/4" collet for a Delta Router/Shaper and tried one from a Porter Cable router, and it fit. I then ordered a replacement Porter Cable collet for my Delta Router/Shaper, since the guy that I borrowed the collet from, wanted his back. It would be great if the manufacturers had standardized them, but I think it's too late for that. Porter Cable and Delta were kind under the same roof about the time that my Delta Router/Shaper was sold, so this is likely the reason why I got kind of lucky.

Charley

I didn't notice this post earlier. The collet in my Hitachi router kept getting stuck and the nut would come off. I found Think and Tinker. They have some awesome after market collets and accessories for most routers. They seem to cater to the high volume and cnc market and it is high quality stuff. Aka made in America and expensive. The new collet really improved my router experience.

Sent from my woodshop using duct tape, twine, and a bit of sawdust.