A Bathroom Cabinet

bushwacked

I am going to need to build a new wall cabinet for our bathroom because we have a huge open wall and are running low on storage space. For the most part it would hold the basics ... towels and bathroom/shower stuff.

All the cabinets I see that I like are $200+ so I figured why not do it myself then and most likely save money and it be better quality (Hopefully :)

The wall where it is going to go is here, right above the ironing board:

3af5f38c37bc396c47f9dd40a423817d.jpg

So far my design is below .... Nothing spectacular, but it should be very efficient for where it is going and hold plenty.

d6dda7e8cb2adaf0613bf849e25affde.jpg

I was wanting to make it out of some nice wood, however when I pitched the idea to my wife ... of course she wanted something bright in there since it is a little dark. Sooooo white it is, which means some form of plywood and poplar.

I was debating making it fully out of poplar thought just because. The price would be a little cheaper for poplar as well since from what I can see it would run me about 60ish BF of poplar coming in at around $1.6-1.8 a BF puts me right around $100 and if I went full ply with poplar face frames that would be 3 sheets of ply ~$50 plus poplar so looking at $160-175.

Is there any reason I should not go full poplar? Yes plywood would be easier and a lot less milling ... 

Hopefully I will be picking the wood up today if poplar is the way to go to let it get acclimated for a few days .. If I go pl it will be next week.

Thoughts?

well if I really squeeze things on the ply I could probably get it done in 2 sheets, but that would be without any accidents or needing to recut anything. It is some big pieces as this will be around 4' x 3' cabinet. The poplar has a 25% fudge factor built in as well ... so that was like 12 BF of just in case ... if that is why you are implying that I may be over estimating ?? 

Yes wood movement was my big concern, but poplar doesnt seem to move as much from what I have seen so it would be minimal and would be taken into account as well just in case.

Makita tracksaw! I totally wouldve guessed it, you shouldnt have given it away so fast.

Id definitely go with plywood and poplar face frames. And you could reduce the board footage and weight by turning the whole thing into 1 box with partitions instead of 3 separate boxes.

Youre gonna be breakin that ply down like a champ. I mean... you just got a new tracksaw... i think you HAVE to do it with plywood.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Haha yep I thought my wife ordered something huge. Had no idea they would waste so much packing those 2.

Yep I decided on plywood for sure and poplar face frame.

I was thinking about making one box but I wasn't sure my thicker face frames at 2" would look goofy or not. I guess sketch out a single box and see what that looks like.

• Like 1

Did you do the dados and rabbets with the stacked head or hand held router?

Borrowed my brother in laws dado stack for that.

I used a short extension cord and some Velcro tie wrap strips and strapped the cord to the vac hose.( before I got my TS75)

Oh that's a good idea. I was also thinking of taking apart the track saw and wiring in a longer cord but not sure I want to do that with it so new and wanting to make sure I don't void the warranty just yet haha

How long is the cord on the festools?