Cracks in sassafras table top.

swiftyfrommi

So I have built a dining room table for my wife. It is made from sassafras. My wife wants to stain it a very dark walnut color but I have a question. My top has some small cracks in the middle of the boards. What would be the best to fill them with. I was thinking of staining it first then filling with clear epoxy. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. 41392d0164b3f9d36de80c02b3edb52a.jpg365d38b5af52725d3ada726a82098d34.jpg380c93d50e0a4570506de1fc7ff87bcc.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Epoxy works well, assuming the cracks are already somewhat done moving...it's your best bet at helping stabilize it too. I have West System epoxy, expensive but works well.

Do you think it would be best before or after staining. We plan on using General finish antique walnut gel stain

I can't help on the crack-filling, but I just have to say that's a pretty table.

Thanks

I would think you want to do it before, you are going to have to sand the epoxy smooth after it drys.  The cracks you have there seem to be small and I am not sure they would be effected by the stain but you can also add a drop of Walnut Trans Tint to the epoxy.  Just a single drop should be enough.

• Like 2

I would think you want to do it before, you are going to have to sand the epoxy smooth after it drys.  The cracks you have there seem to be small and I am not sure they would be effected by the stain but you can also add a drop of Walnut Trans Tint to the epoxy.  Just a single drop should be enough.

That was what I was thinking.

4 minutes ago, swiftyfrommi said:

So this is what the test piece came out like. They show up as darker streaks but if you didn't know where they are you would not notice them. Thanks for all the help guys.

The reason Steve recommends trying on scrap is because sometimes finish will set differently on those areas. Make sure you do a finish test somewhere over the product chosen. If that is what this is my apologies. Just don't want it to get worse with finish. 

The reason Steve recommends trying on scrap is because sometimes finish will set differently on those areas. Make sure you do a finish test somewhere over the product chosen. If that is what this is my apologies. Just don't want it to get worse with finish. 

It was a scrap of wood leftover

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...