What a waste of nice walnut

estesbubba

I got these walnut boards 15 years ago for like $2 BF when I was just getting into woodworking. Today I started on the Cremona guild sofa table and was happy to have several 12" wide boards that were clean with no sap. 

IMG_0184.JPG

This board was skipped planed 15 years ago with some nice purple tones in it so I was excited  to mill them up.

IMG_0185.JPG

After initial milling of some of these boards this was all over both sides...

IMG_0187.JPG

IMG_0188.JPG

When I visited this guy he had 4 barns full of wood in piles which was a cluster but I didn't know better back then. Even before milling I was excited to have nice wide and clean looking boards. Thanks Uncle Cletus for ruining boards that could have made a nice table. I have 5 more boards like these which probably have the same hidden "character".

PS - Maybe this happened before UC got a hold of them. 

• Like 1

Huh, odd, because I always thought walnut heartwood was impervious to powder post and other insects. It's actually the reason why I will buy air dried walnut off Cletus suppliers, while I only purchase other species from commercial kiln dried outfits. I've noticed the burrowed tunnels into the sapwood but turn away from the heartwood. Sucks to see your stock was munched on. 

1 hour ago, Pwk5017 said:

Huh, odd, because I always thought walnut heartwood was impervious to powder post and other insects.

I've never seen it in heartwood either and some of these are close to the pith and maybe it happened after being cut. I'm sure stacked on piles in a barn didn't help  

26 minutes ago, JosephThomas said:

Can any of it be saved?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

For smaller pieces but not for the table I'm building. With these boards being cut with a circlular sawmill instead of bandsaw you can't see the defects at all. With the current quality of walnut these days I thought I had some gems at 11"+ wide and 9' long and clean. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

I would gouge/route irregular patterns over the wormy routes and fill with epoxy. That's too neat of wood too discard. However, I do see a bit of a cup in the center board. But since you have others, drag them out. Good luck.

The center board was one I used and being 11" wide I ripped on the bandsaw at 6" along the cup and it jointed nicely. My wife likes character and maybe epoxy is an option especially since items will be on the top. I just wish they would have been clean.