kreg rip cut

dflan004

just got the kreg rip cut... really disappointed by it.   the tool is about 1/16" off and doesn't seem to account for the blade making it off by about 3/16"  the zero mark is actually on the blade guide so there is nothing i can do to make it accurate.  when i put another rule on the rail to compare its measurements its not even close to being accurate.   i called kreg and they say they are aware and that its due to being too much variance in difference saws.... i dont quite buy it,   i dont think the saw has anything to do with the tools measurement being off.     i guess ill use it to cut a straight edge for a couple of home made track saw guides, or for ruffing out some pieces.

• Like 1

Judging by most things I've read about the accessory it can be handy if you're out doing rough in work but fails at any task requiring better accuracy. They either did not make it versatile enough for the wide range of saws in use or did not intend to. I am confused about their target market.

4 hours ago, gee-dub said:

Judging by most things I've read about the accessory it can be handy if you're out doing rough in work but fails at any task requiring better accuracy. They either did not make it versatile enough for the wide range of saws in use or did not intend to. I am confused about their target market.

yeah i only using it for roughing out pieces now as it does produce straight cuts.  however when their marketing claims "accurate cuts"   its very misleading and a big disappointment.    if they spent more time in quality control and made the ruler on it accurate to the fence it would probably be pretty accurate.

Interesting, I seem to remember that mine has an adjustable zero on it. I have it on an old porter cable and, as long as I pay attention so I don't drift the guide away from the edge, get perfect cuts every time. 

To be honest, I don't use the scale on the saw as I prefer to use the same measuring tool for the whole process so I will take the measurement I need and then use that tape measure to set up the rip. I just flip the saw over and measure between the blade and the edge guide. 

yeah the problem is that zero adjustable part is off by a 1/16".  ill try and take a picture when i get home tonight. but  ill try and explain the issue.  the  ruler sits on the edge guide and the measurement on the ruler starts 1/16 over that guide.  so say you measure over 6 inches the cut will be 1/16" short because the kreg ruler itself is inaccurate.  

2 hours ago, sheperd80 said:

Yeah this. Kreg makes excellent poket-hole jigs, and clamps. Ive tried a few of their other gizmos and was dissapointed every time so i dont bother anymore.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

The pocket hole jigs do work OK, although their accessories suck.  I have three square bits from Kreg, none of them straight. The plastic stop on the K5, with its plastic nut and bolt, is just beyond all categorization. And I can keep going, but I don't want to hijack this thread into a Kreg hate rant LOL

I use mine for breaking down material but I have used it several times for final cuts as well. The first time I used it I set it to the 'correct' measurement and when I double checked it against my line on the plywood I noticed the same thing mentioned by OP. I just don't use the out of whack scale and only use it for making a parallel cut to the fence edge. It can be kind of a pain lining up the blade on the correct side of my mark but with some lighting improvements and some practice/repetition it will make a parallel cut with minor effort. I would give 3/5 stars.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...