Hard Maple heartwood/sapwood?

Isaac

I bought some hard maple boards a couple weeks ago and just go into milling up some pieces. I'm accustomed to seeing the light color for the hard maple I've used in the past, but not the dark. Is that the delineation between the heartwood (dark) and the sapwood? What exactly am I looking at here?

IMG_20170121_222552441 (Large).jpg 

IMG_20170121_222538604 (Large).jpg

I'd like to use them book-matched for a small side table top, something like this:

IMG_20170121_222531288 (Large).jpg

In its current state, I think it is very pretty, but just wondering, any issues stability, finishing, etc. I should be aware of?

Also, should I anticipate the dark half fading? If so, are we talking a little fade, or all the way to the color of the lighter half?

Thanks!

Those boards look like they will be fine.  I am a big fan of dark streaks in maple.  

The heart in maple is really small, so often times pieces from the heart will be unstable because they are so close to the pith.  but your boards look fine.  

27 minutes ago, phinds said:

Issac, when you have questions about the look of and readily available wood, domestic or exotic, you can usually find out my just looking at the pics on my site.

Thanks Phinds, what is your site? I was also curious to know if there were issues I should anticipate when working with it.